need a code compiler

Started by
8 comments, last by treefr0gz 21 years, 1 month ago
i know nothing about any game languages, but I wanted to start somewhere, so I bought the two books the site recommended (The Complete Reference for C++ third edition and Windows Game Programming for dummies) .. but, the for dummies book says i should know C when reading the book, and both say ill need a code compiler. Im wondering what a good code compiler is, and also am I screwed in the "For dummies" book since I dont know C? Did anyone here use this book without knowing C? i feel kind of offended that I dont meet the requirements of reading a "For dummies" book lol im a newbieeeee
im a newbieeeee
Advertisement
C++ is very similar to C and you can certainly start with it without knowing straight C.

as for compilers, check out the borland command line compiler (google it).

=me
C++ is pretty much a superset/improvement of C, so that part shouldn''t be a problem.

As for compilers... Dev-C++ is a nice FREE compiler and IDE setup (an IDE is a GUI frontend for a compiler). Microsoft Visual C++ is a really nice package too but it''ll cost you, about $100 for the standard version.
the "for dummies" book you are reading is a windows game programming book. you should not be touching that unless you are already familiar with the language the book uses, which is C (or C++, I don''t know, never read that book). the book does not teach you C programming language, but, how to use C programming language to create a program/game that runs in Windows.

so, before you start anything that is game-programming related, learn a programming language first. it can be C, C++, C#, Java, VB, or other languages. however, since you have already bought two books that use C/C++, I suggest to start learning C/C++ (so that you won''t waste your money). for now, don''t touch that windows game programming for dummies book, you don''t need that yet.

Here is a free C/C++ compiler that you can use.

wohoo im not completely screwed, then.. the book recommends Visual C++, what about that? ill google what you said after directx 9 SDK is done DLing (I know I wont need it until like, next year or something, but i want to get hte 222 meg download over with.. im on 56k, so it takes forever)

im a newbieeeee
im a newbieeeee
poop, i guess the "For Beginners" resource section of this site assumes your not a complete idiot. is there a book for someone who knows absoulutely nothing about the languages?
Edit: other one is useless to me too, guys, ANY help?

im a newbieeeee

[edited by - treefr0gz on March 3, 2003 6:59:04 PM]
im a newbieeeee
Read the complete reference book first. That will teach you C/C++. Once you are finished with that then get started on Windows game programming for dummies. Those two books should be enough.

As has been previously stated, Dev-C++ is a great compiler. You''ll have to find the directx libraries for it though as the ones you are downloading now use *.lib and not *.a.
-YoshiXGXCX ''99
Weird, the book said it assumes ive made at least a small program. But im glad this is all I need, as my sister is the one who bought me the books (best sister ever!) so im glad I wont have to buy an extra one
im a newbieeeee
Nice to see the positive attitude "newbie"
Definitely get comfortable with the language before thinking about game development. But if you push yourself enough, I''m sure you can get to that stage within 3 months or so.

Keep this in mind. Try learning OpenGL before DirectX. This will save you some pain of dealing with COM (don''t worry about that). What I''m saying is that I learned DirectX first, and got a little discouraged because the simplest thing would take me a while to do. Sorta made me feel dumb...lol...but then I went into OpenGL and it "fit like a glove" so to speak. Not to say DirectX is bad, but it''s NOT for beginners. After learning OpenGL, I turned to XBox development (which uses DX) and it was sooooooooooooooooooooo easy for me. So definitely, try out OpenGL when you''re ready. NeHe is a great source of info...

Best of luck!
People fear what they don''t understand, hate what they can''t conquer!
very nice sister you have there. just remember to take your time and learn everything. some stuff might seem pointless at times but do it anyway. it''ll pay off in the long run.

good luck

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement