SDL[_mixer] and Linux :(

Started by
4 comments, last by Raduprv 21 years, 1 month ago
I recently started to add some music and sounds to my game, and I thought that a good way would be to use SDL_mixer. Well, while it works perfectly on Windows, on the same machine, under Linux, it complais that it can''t find an audio board... I also tried the SDL basic sound thing, same result. And I tried with both my game, and the SDL sound test samples, that came with SDL, adn should ahve worked... I am running RH 8.1, and I DO have sound, since I can listen to MP3s and such just fine... Anyone knows why this happens? Thanks in advance. Height Map Editor | Eternal Lands | Fast User Directory
Advertisement
Try closing esd or other sound server if running one?
Thanks, it was KDE''s sound server, who created the problems.
But other programs (audio programs) did work...
BTW, what does that sound server do?

Height Map Editor | Eternal Lands | Fast User Directory
Allows multiple programs to use the sound device at once.

Basically, with some hardware, only one app can use /dev/dsp at once. esd/artsd/etc/etc/etc solve this by BEING that single app. Others simply play through them. Apparently SDL is not yet been made aware of different sound servers...
SDL is aware of ESD. But when you use ESD with SDL there's an aweful delay between when a sound is played and when it comes out the speakers, so don't use it (ESD with SDL i mean). I'm not sure about KDE's server though (what's it called, artds? Or is that something else?)

EDIT: Clarified some stuff.

[edited by - BradDaBug on March 5, 2003 3:07:07 PM]
I like the DARK layout!
I don''t know the name of KDE''s sound server, it''s just called Sound Server
Hmm... well, from what you told me about it, it''s kind of evil. I mean, usually you need the sound to happen on the spot, not 2 years later...

Height Map Editor | Eternal Lands | Fast User Directory

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement