Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

cidie

How to deal with a collision between a car and an oil drum

I want to simplify the problem and make the effect to look like a real collision!How can I do it?Who can give me some analysis?

How can it get more simple? You just need to make it explode!

I''m no expert on the subject, but I don''t think you''ve provided enough information for the people who are.

yeah,you are right.
In fact I want to know who has the experimence of this project.And give me some advice.
Now I have some ideas of it and have done the effect.I want to know how the problems are dealed with by others people to see if my way is right.
The details of the project are when an oil drum is put on the ground,and a car collides with it.What would happen.When the oil drum lies down ,collision happens too.Then what would happen.

Well, you should (if you can) give the oil drum a velocity away from the car. Make it leak oil as it flies through the air if you can (just black particles in a particle system at the drum''s origin emitting a steady stream in all directions [but not going too far]).

If you can''t move the oil drum for whatever reason, you should be able to break it apart (kill the object and replace it with objects that look like mangled metal and make them fly away from the car) and maybe have an oil particle system splash oil all over.

And sound effects. Maybe sparks from the metal-on-metal collision.

Now, really...Why would a drum filled with oil explode, gasoline maybe...anyway...

On the physics side...

Before Impact:
Car Speed: 55 Mph
Drum Speed: 0 Mph

[CAR]---> O

During Impact:
Car Speed: 55 Mhp
Drum Speed: 55 Mph

[CAR]O

After Impact:
Car Speed: 55 Mph - (deacceleration caused by impact)
Drum Speed: 55 Mph - (deacceleration caused by gravity/friction)

[CAR]O-->
then
[CAR]--> O->

With those diagrams, I''d like to point out that you may want to check if you caught the barrel with only a corner of your bumper. There''s an article on Gamasutra titled "Pool Hall Physics" or something like that. Just pretend the sphere impacting the oil drum is the car bumper. It should work OK.

As for the oil drum getting knocked over... I suppose you''d want to be able to knock the drum around.. then you''d be bringing in friction (if you hadn''t yet) and all sorts of less-than-fun stuff, the end result being a more realistic model, but added frustration if an oil barrel blocks a path or something like that. Personally, I''d just make it fly through the air (depending on the car''s speed) and, if it was going fast enough when it hit something, break apart, or just come to a rest somehow. Game physics - physics that look right - will do the trick, and anyone that complains can go do it themselves.

I am not sure how advanced you want the collisions to be but try looking at rigid body physics / dynamics . That should provide some answers to your questions and a little bit of work, too...

Regards,
Sharky

---
#define _WEBSITE
Sharky''s Coding Corner
#endif
---