Microsoft quits ARB

Started by
68 comments, last by benjamin bunny 21 years, 1 month ago
There''s a story in the Register which indicates that Microsoft has resigned from the ARB in order to concentrate on Direct3D. MS have been holding up development of OpenGL for a while now, threatening IP actions against OpenGL 2.0 regarding their shader technology and completely failing to update the now ancient openGL32.dll (which only supports up to 1.1 and shipped originally with Windows95). I''m not sure if this is good news or not. ____________________________________________________________ www.elf-stone.com

____________________________________________________________www.elf-stone.com | Automated GL Extension Loading: GLee 5.00 for Win32 and Linux

Advertisement
Now that the pink elephant is out of the room maybe things will advance a little quicker. I hope this move isn''t patent related, a la rambus.

"... we should have such an empire for liberty as she has never surveyed since the creation ..."
Thomas Jefferson
"... we should have such an empire for liberty as she has never surveyed since the creation ..."Thomas Jefferson
HOHOHOHOHOHOHOHOHOHOHOHOHOHOHOHOHOHOHOHOHOHOHOHOHOHOHOHOHOHO
HOHOHOHOHOHOHOHOHOHOHOHOHOHOHOHOHOHOHOHOHOHOHOHOHOHOHOHOHOHO

Happy Microsoft quiting to everybody.Now maybe the OpenGL things will go like they shoud and OpenGL will continue to develop normally.This is also good for DirectX too.Once again congratiolations!!!

The PAIN is coming...this summer!!!In cinemas everywhere.
Good, DirectX and OpenGL should move as far apart as possible. Why have 2 options when they''re both the same?

Besides, now graphics chip makers can concentrate more fully on DX support like they''re supposed to.
Great! now graphics chip makers can concentrate more fully on OpenGl support like they''re supposed to.

emptyhead
Watch out for advice from the successfull, they don''t want company
:wq!
quote:Original post by Buster
Besides, now graphics chip makers can concentrate more fully on DX support like they're supposed to.

Eh?

EDIT

quote:Original post by emptyhead
Great! now graphics chip makers can concentrate more fully on OpenGl support like they're supposed to.

[edited by - Shag on March 4, 2003 7:31:42 AM]
Ah yes, this will really speed up the development of OpenGL now that Microsoft is out of the way, just like how Firewire got to market so much faster that Microsoft+Co's USB *snicker*. We especially won't see patents dragging it down

[edited by - michalson on March 4, 2003 7:43:49 AM]
Oh my !
They won''t update OpenGL on windows that often anymore...

:=

-* So many things to do, so little time to spend. *-
-* So many things to do, so little time to spend. *-
This is a good thing, and was about time. The ARB tried to kick out MS a long time ago, but couldn''t due to contractual obligations. Generally, this is a good thing for OpenGL, and will help to speed up new extensions, as well as OpenGL 2.0. Recently, MS did everything they could to slow the ARB down, by veto-ing pretty much every decision. That out of the way, will give the ARB a lot more freedom.

On the other hand, I''m a little concerned about patent issues (those patents SGI should never have sold to MS). If the OpenGL development speeds up considerably, it might become a serious threat to D3D (esp. seing that the OpenGL 2.0 specs are far beyond any DX9), then MS will probably try to bully the ARB using their aquired patents.
After reading some more posts about this I am really worried that ms got tired of the ''take them down from the inside'' method and are now switching to the tried and true ''sue them to death'' method.

"... we should have such an empire for liberty as she has never surveyed since the creation ..."
Thomas Jefferson
"... we should have such an empire for liberty as she has never surveyed since the creation ..."Thomas Jefferson

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement