C# or C++ which is better for the game? help!!

Started by
15 comments, last by year2kilo 21 years, 1 month ago
C# will have perfomance issues down the line. Like JAVA, a C# program is not compiled into machine language, but rather an intermediate language. Then the intermediate language is interpretted at runtime, wasting precious CPU cycles. I always suggest starting from the ground up, because it''s easy to learn C# after you''ve mastered C, but the other way around can be difficult.
Advertisement
I would say all lang''s are cool for game development. But C++ is by far the coolest. Are at least I think so. Go ahead if you want to start deving games. But before you begin your journey down the C++ road, consider this. Look at other Operating Systems also. Dont be limited to Microsoft Windows, try some Unix based Operating Systems..most programers prefer a Unix enviroment while programing.
quote:Original post by sonicteam
most programers prefer a Unix enviroment while programing.

Do they?

"If there is a God, he is a malign thug."
-- Mark Twain
--AnkhSVN - A Visual Studio .NET Addin for the Subversion version control system.[Project site] [IRC channel] [Blog]
almost all professional games are made with visual studio, just check gamasutra''s postmortems.
Actually, C# is NOT interpreted at runtime like Java is. The framework''s JIT compiler will compile the IL into machine language the first time the app is run, and use that from that point on. Most examples of DX code I have seen in C# and C++ perform about the same.
________________________________________________Chris McGuirkLead Programmer - Axiom 3D EngineC# gaming, the way of the future!http://www.axiom3d.org
Both Java and C# ultimately execute as native code. Hey newb, it doesn''t matter both are fine. Having to learn C++ will probably make you older and wiser about memory, but if that''s not your thing then don''t worry about it. You can do well in either one.
quote:Original post by sonicteam
try some Unix based Operating Systems..most programers prefer a Unix enviroment while programing.

Are you kidding? I mean, Unix has its place, but if you think I''m crazy about all that POSIX crap when I program Linux then...
Or are you talking about programmers doing all their LEARNING in a text mode environment... such as traditional Unix.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement