salary

Started by
3 comments, last by GravtyKlz 21 years, 1 month ago
I was wondering if anyone in game development, or just anyone that knows could tell me how much on average a game developer usually makes. The fullsail website gives a broad statistic covering about 4 different fields with game development included saying that they make between $50,000 and $120,000. I think they said $50,000-$80,000 is most typical though.
Advertisement
Yep that is about right. Varies depending on what level you are at, what job your doing and how large the company is that your working for.

Dan Marchant
Obscure Productions
Dan Marchant - Business Development Consultant
www.obscure.co.uk
One of the biggest concerns if you''re looking for a job is where the job is at. If you''re in California, 50k is barely enough to survive on, whereas if you''re in Florida, 50k is an upper-middle class salary. In the mid-west, 50k will get you enough to buy a small house in the suburbs and live a standard middle-class lifestyle.
That is so true, solinear.

A friend of mine had a $40k job as a junior developer in San Fransisco.

I went to visit him after the GDC two years ago, and he and his girlfriend slept on the floor of the tiniest little apartment I ever saw. The bedroom was also the kitchen and the closet. This was in the "red light" district, too. There were prostitutes on the corner and everything.

He was working in the industry, though.

I don''t believe those $60k-$80k junior developer figures, though. I think schools like Full Sail would try to inflate those numbers to get people excited. I think the real numbers are somewhat lower. Let''s not forget what the IRS takes out.

I''m just hoping for $20k and a parking space.
http://www.gamasutra.com/features/20010831/survey_01.htm

Check out the Game Developer''s Salary Survey at Gamasutra.

And smarson is right. I live in the Bay Area and work at EA. Junior programmers make about 60 - 80k here but that is because it is the Bay Area. Rent is about $1500 for a 2 bd/1 bath apt in an ok neighborhood. Much more for something nice.

If you are interested in a particular city, I suggest going their local IGDA chapter (look on Yahoo Groups) and talk to developers in the region(s) you are interested in.

Nathan Fahrenthold
GameMaking.com: Free tools for game making!
Nathan FahrentholdGameMaking.com: Free tools for game making!

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement