game postmortem...most wanted

Started by
4 comments, last by thehurricane 21 years, 1 month ago
If you could decide which game the next Postmortem article would cover next on www.Gamasutra.com, which would it be? My pick would be Metriod Prime, without a doubt. It's amazing, both technically and artistically...I'd love to see how they pulled off the seamless loading, for one, and what kind of tools they used in the creation of the levels--I don't think there's not a single flat, two polygon wall in the entire game [edited by - thehurricane on March 3, 2003 11:48:43 PM]
Advertisement
A Metroid Prime post-mortem would certainly be interesting but I would like to hear of the problems/solutions the GTA3 team encountered in development.

[edited by - punx on March 4, 2003 11:13:00 AM]
~punx
The seamless loading in Metroid Prime isn''t that amazing. The world is broken into rooms, and the player can''t see between them, so while you''re in one room they can work on loading adjacent rooms. Then if you try to go into a room that isn''t completely loaded yet, they just don''t open the door until it is. Using some semi-smart algorithm to load the room where they think you''ll go first helps to minimize the number of times that you shoot a door and then are forced to wait 5 or 10 seconds for the room behind it to load and the door to open.

j
Rockstar North use/used renderware for GTA 3 and Vice City so i guess that removes a lot of the problems they would have had to handle otherwise. Bet they wish they had their own engine going, must be paying out a fair bit of cash to use renderware, not that they aren't rolling in the green stuff anyway.

EDIT: cos i was dumb and listed a game already on the list

[edited by - RdF on March 4, 2003 4:08:26 PM]
I have to say, I would like to see WC3''s postmortem, I really think they did a fabuous job and I would love to know the inside out of that engine.

George D. Filiotis

I am a signature virus. Please add me to your signature so that I may multiply.
Geordi
George D. Filiotis
Warcraft 3 that is...

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement