Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Name-ing-Way

University

Hello. I''m a high school student who is in the process of applying to universities at the moment, and I have a question I hope you guys could help me with. One of my future goals is to work in the games industry, and I was wondering if it would be better to have a Computer Science degree or a Software Engineering degree to achieve this. I realize the problem is more complicated than one or the other, but I was just wondering what people''s general opinions on the subject were. Thanx.

I would say that it depends more on the curriculum than the name of the degree.

Check each program out, take the option that provides the most hands on programming classes and less theoretical stuff.

why not a Game Programming degree? Several universitys are now offering them at BachelorSc AND MasterSc level!

Which country do you live in?

"No lies of sugar can sweeten the sournes of reality"

}+TITANIUM+{ A.K.A. DXnewbie[onMIRC]

Canada. I''m looking to go either to The University of Waterloo, University of British Columbia, McGill University, or The University of Western Ontario.

Goodluck getting in waterloo for engineering, last i heard your grades need to be in mid 90s. Whats your average?

and why not go to UofT?

My average is around 92.

And I don''t want to goto Toronto..umm.. just cause... too big i guess would be one reason...

anyways, I still can''t decide between com sci and Soft Eng. leaning towards Eng though...

Guest Anonymous Poster
Take it from me, an anonymous poster; software engineering is the way to go!

Guest Anonymous Poster
Isnt the Game Programming University in Canada? I think there are 2 campuses(dont take my word on it), one i think is in canada and the other in Japan.

Well I'm getting my Bachelors of Science Degree in Computer Engineering this summer. And my thesis will be making a particle engine for a Computer Game Company.

Computer Engineering - programming
Software Engineering - designing

Does that help? :D

[edited by - Seriema on March 4, 2003 8:56:36 PM]

quote:
Original post by Seriema
Computer Engineering - programming
Software Engineering - designing

Does that help? :D

So in other words,

Software Engineering - The brains
Com Sci - Trained monkeys who type

?

*just kidding btw

[edited by - Name-ing-Way on March 4, 2003 9:29:23 PM]

both requires brains!

but something like that...

And I prefer to actually DO something than wondering around an theorizing "and then we would need this class...". Then the programmer goes "how the hell is he expecting this to work?!"

If you can code, you won''t get tooo much from compSCi - better style probably. I''d say do CompSci with physics/maths - these are MUCH more useful. With them you''re a coder who can actually know what to code!

Read about my game, project #1
NEW (18th December)2 new screenshots, one from the engine and one from the level editor

John 3:16

quote:
Original post by Name-ing-Way
\Com Sci - Trained monkeys who type
[edited by - Name-ing-Way on March 4, 2003 9:29:23 PM]

I think the thing John Carmack doing called Com Sci :D

quote:
Original post by kaveh
Goodluck getting in waterloo for engineering, last i heard your grades need to be in mid 90s. Whats your average?

and why not go to UofT?

i think UofT is the better of the two, everyone thinks waterloo is so great because they have the math contests and because its known world wide as a good university. But UofT is also known world wide, i know some people who go to waterloo and they have said that the residence is god awful, im not saying residence is the most important aspect of a university, but if your not going to live at home then its pretty important.

i plan to go to UofT for software engineering, i know someone else who goes there and he has said nothing but good things about the school. its close to home so im set if i get in. they start u of with java first year then introduce C++ goodness for the last 3.

,Matt

-= kill one your a murderer, kill thousands your a conquerer =-

quote:

Software Engineering - The brains
Com Sci - Trained monkeys who type

I find that they both require most of the same programming courses. But engineering is a lot harder because you have physics/chem/electronics/etc courses and a lot more math courses.
I''m doing Comp Sci in the Arts department which lets me take less maths and more humanities/history type courses.

And d000hg is right, if you know how to program well already you wont get much from 1st and 2nd year comp sci courses. But at least you can skip lectures and still ace the finals

quote:
i know some people who go to waterloo and they have said that the residence is god awful, im not saying residence is the most important aspect of a university, but if your not going to live at home then its pretty important.

Did they say how the residence was awful? This is actually a key aspect that I am considering.

If its because of bad roommates though, that can happen anywhere...

[edited by - Name-ing-Way on March 5, 2003 7:47:45 PM]

Myself, I''m applying to Waterloo for Software Engineering.
Their Software Engineering is world renowned. U of T has an incredible engineering program, and their Computer Sciences is far better, but for SE, you can''t beat Waterloo.

And their residences aren''t too shabby. I went around on a campus tour (which I reccommend you do), and things look quite nice.

Then again, I''ve been adament on going to Waterloo for five years, so I''m a tad biased.

Computer Science is the study of how computer logic applies to different problems, and how those problems can be solved efficiently. Since it is a Science, not a branch of engineering, the point isn''t to teach you to code; it''s to teach you to do Computer Science research - to develop solutions to heretofore unsolved or unattempted problems. The goal of scientific training is research.

That said, most people who are trained in Computer Science end up with a career in Computer Engineering.

Computer and Software Engineering are the studies of the application of existing computer knowledge to solve typical real-world problems. Physicists first figured out the relationship between stress and strain, and the combined result of multiple forces; engineers use that knowledge to build bridges. Use that metaphor to understand the difference between Computer Science and Engineering.

What''s the difference between Software Engineering and Computer Engineering? The level of abstraction, mostly. In practice, software engineers design programs, while compuer engineers design hardware and solve low-level problems. Of course, these are generalities.

As for "Video Game" majors, personally I say avoid them. You''re going to a college, not a trade school, aren''t you?! You want to have a wide base of training, and the flexibility to go different places. Even if you think you want to make video games now, trust me, having flexibility is a plus!!

quote:
[quote]i know some people who go to waterloo and they have said that the residence is god awful, im not saying residence is the most important aspect of a university, but if your not going to live at home then its pretty important.

Did they say how the residence was awful? This is actually a key aspect that I am considering.

If its because of bad roommates though, that can happen anywhere...

[edited by - Name-ing-Way on March 5, 2003 7:47:45 PM]

they said that the actual buildings were not up to standard, that was a while ago so im not sure if they rennovated them or not, id be surprised if they didnt make some changes considering the double cohort is upon us

EDIT: i know that UofT is having tours during march break, and waterloo will most likely do the same thing, you should check out the campus for yourself, i wouldnt dream of attending a university without visiting the campus beforehand

,Matt

-= kill one your a murderer, kill thousands your a conquerer =-

[edited by - samosa on March 5, 2003 9:22:57 PM]

Terranfury, thank you very much. Your response was exactly what I was looking for. And by the way, I never was considering a gaming major.

As for the tours, I live across the whole country, so tours aren''t feasable at this moment in time.

As of this moment, I am still greatly leaning towards Software Engineering.

Thank you everyone for the input, and any more would be greatly appreciated.

If you like programming then Computer Engineering like me! And what''s wrong with a game mayor?? 3D graphics with high demands on speed and realism is demanded all over the place! From virtual environments (architecture) to medical robots (UI for surgeons). Every piece of game programming comes from other places. So it isn''t "small"!