University

Started by
20 comments, last by Name-ing-Way 21 years, 1 month ago
Hello. I''m a high school student who is in the process of applying to universities at the moment, and I have a question I hope you guys could help me with. One of my future goals is to work in the games industry, and I was wondering if it would be better to have a Computer Science degree or a Software Engineering degree to achieve this. I realize the problem is more complicated than one or the other, but I was just wondering what people''s general opinions on the subject were. Thanx.
Advertisement
Get a Computer Science degree with an emphasis in Software Engineering.
I would say that it depends more on the curriculum than the name of the degree.

Check each program out, take the option that provides the most hands on programming classes and less theoretical stuff.

why not a Game Programming degree? Several universitys are now offering them at BachelorSc AND MasterSc level!

Which country do you live in?

"No lies of sugar can sweeten the sournes of reality"

}+TITANIUM+{ A.K.A. DXnewbie[onMIRC]
[ ThumbView: Adds thumbnail support for DDS, PCX, TGA and 16 other imagetypes for Windows XP Explorer. ] [ Chocolate peanuts: Brazilian recipe for home made chocolate covered peanuts. Pure coding pleasure. ]
Canada. I''m looking to go either to The University of Waterloo, University of British Columbia, McGill University, or The University of Western Ontario.
Goodluck getting in waterloo for engineering, last i heard your grades need to be in mid 90s. Whats your average?

and why not go to UofT?
------------------------Kicking Software
My average is around 92.

And I don''t want to goto Toronto..umm.. just cause... too big i guess would be one reason...

anyways, I still can''t decide between com sci and Soft Eng. leaning towards Eng though...
Take it from me, an anonymous poster; software engineering is the way to go!
Isnt the Game Programming University in Canada? I think there are 2 campuses(dont take my word on it), one i think is in canada and the other in Japan.
Well I'm getting my Bachelors of Science Degree in Computer Engineering this summer. And my thesis will be making a particle engine for a Computer Game Company.

Computer Engineering - programming
Software Engineering - designing

Does that help? :D

[edited by - Seriema on March 4, 2003 8:56:36 PM]
[ ThumbView: Adds thumbnail support for DDS, PCX, TGA and 16 other imagetypes for Windows XP Explorer. ] [ Chocolate peanuts: Brazilian recipe for home made chocolate covered peanuts. Pure coding pleasure. ]

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement