The Art of Fun

Started by
15 comments, last by AdmiralBinary 21 years, 1 month ago
quote:Original post by Rick Scott
Don''t knock cardboard boxes! Those things are still quite a bit of fun...if you can find a really big one. :D

Excuse me for running a lil off topic but i had to. Throwing cats is still the most entertaining thing to watch on earth period

But cardboard boxes are cool too
Advertisement
This reminds me of an article in Time, where they were discussing that scientests are working on a gene which is what humor comes from. Some people have this gene (comedians), but others have none at all(me). They are hoping that they can replicate this gene, so they can have the genetics of all the great comdians into one person. Its 99% theory, but still interesting all the same.
quote:Original post by Paul Cunningham
Game Theory, which has frustrated me emensly for ages now tries to instigate what you''re talking about. This is really deep stuff and at the end of it you start thinking you''re a schizophrenic. Don''t worry about it imo.

Game Theory has little to do with any "science of fun". Game Theory is simply about looking at problem solving when a critical new element is introduced in the problem domain--another problem solver.

-- Joshua Lusion           | If you will tell me why the fen Sr. Software Engineer/  | appears impassable, I then hobbyist game coder     | will tell you why I think that I                         | can get across it if I try. (M. Moore)
Why are you people taking this so seriously? It''s obvious what the appropriate response was:

quote:Original post by AdmiralBinary
I''m thinkin [the science of fun]''d suck...
YOUR OPINION IS WRONG.
quote:Original post by yy2bggggs
Game Theory has little to do with any "science of fun". Game Theory is simply about looking at problem solving when a critical new element is introduced in the problem domain--another problem solver.

I was talking about game theory as in economic theory and the way people hope that it could be used for predicting outcomes. In principle its very similar to turning game design into a science that being understanding scientifically every aspect of game design hence isolating the fun element as that is part of game design.

----------------
- Why are so many people scared of others expressing their opinions???

quote:Original post by Paul Cunningham
{quote}Original post by yy2bggggs
{/quote}

I was talking about game theory as in economic theory and the way people hope that it could be used for predicting outcomes. In principle its very similar to turning game design into a science that being understanding scientifically every aspect of game design hence isolating the fun element as that is part of game design.

----------------
- Why are so many people scared of others expressing their opinions???

Last I heard, game theory didn''t care at all why people played the game - it just assumed that they played to win. In any case, Game Theory concerns itself with actions not motivations, so a mature game theory may be able to tell you what a player will do at a certain point in the game, but it won''t tell you whether he''ll get bored and stop playing - you need something like psychology for that
Fun is subjective, therefore it can never be scientifically created for a mass market.

This doesn''t mean some scientific methods can''t be used to create fun things, but in this context it means no more than an understanding of stimulus/response and distillation of possibilities according to greatest reward.

It isn''t a calculation as much as it''s an educated guess. This is why both scientists and artists like to make games.

A Problem Worthy of Attack
Proves It''s Worth by Fighting Back
spraff.net: don't laugh, I'm still just starting...

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement