Handling a space environment

Started by
3 comments, last by SoD 21 years, 1 month ago
Hi, i''m creating a 3d space game, something like Wing Commander, TIE Fighter, Elite,etc. and i''ve thinking how to manage large sectors of the galaxy. now i''ve a large sector where you start play divided in an octree to speed up things. but what is better to use where the player doesnt use hyperspace and he flies through the near sector? i''ve to dynamically load a new octree? does someone have any ideas or experience in that? thanks
Here we go!
Advertisement
The player going outside of his sandbox? I''ve seen games where if you go outside of the area where you''re supposed to be fighting, all you see is space... like there really is an infinite universe around you, only there''s no new ... things ... out there. I guess if they went TOO far, you could just turn them around (not instantly, but steer them away from the extra-too-far plane) or just wrap them around to the other side of the acceptable play area.

I hope that''s what you were talking about. I guess it''s a little too early to be touching a computer.
Member of the Unban nes8bit or the White Rhino in my Basement Gets Sold to the Highest Bidder Association (UNWRBGSHBA - Not accepting new members.)Member of the I'm Glad Mithrandir Finally Found an Association that Accepts People with his Past History Association (IGMFFAAPPHA)
Well, if the player wants to just fly off, that's their own choice. Of course it will take a long time to get somewhere.

But yes, I would load the next section and let them continue.

Of course, some objects would be visible from a distance long before the player actually reaches that sector (like a planet).

Perhaps each octree cell should contain lists of what is visible, not just what is actually IN that octree cell.

[edited by - Waverider on March 4, 2003 9:53:58 AM]
It's not what you're taught, it's what you learn.
I mean that going from a solar system to another is very very long so i could have the ship going out the actual system but it's useless (also in the real we cant go to another system with "normal" drive, too many years ).
I can do things too much realistic but all a system in a single octree/sector is too much i think (or possible?). it's better to split the various things (planets,moon, space ports,etc) in more sectors/octrees and ,like Waverider have said, show visible objects in near sectors?
Because i've planets that arent simple spheres but more sophisticated 3d models i'm thinking the best way to implement.
In the beginning of the game you'll have a ship with a interplanetary only drive so from a voyage from a planet to another is quite a intensive journey. after you'll get some hyperdrive upgrade so you pick a target and enter in hyperspace.
Else, how much this is resonable to have a planetary system travelled from a side to the other? i think to have a time speed upper to increase the rolling of the time when out of combat,etc. but at max speed what is the best set for it? I know it's a personal setting but what do you think about?

[edited by - SoD on March 4, 2003 11:34:16 AM]
Here we go!
Im about to embark on the same problem.
Ive seen a few projects around which sclae everything - so you can see a distant star and fly to it and you will eventually get there - but because (as u mentioned) of the speed issues its seems a bit pointless.

Im making my game on a solar system scale - this way I can make a fully functioning game whilst only having to worry about one system. I can then bolt on the glaxay system later and just load each sector when it is visited. This is a much easier system to implement - so i would recommend going with this. If the player insists on flying off into deep space maybe you could have a random object system that would chuck in the odd asteroid or even more rarely some space wreckage etc.

With regards to Interstellar speed - remeber you dont want the player to be bored stiff travelling between planets. Maybe small insystem hyperspace jumps could be used to get near a planet - then they have to fly the last portion.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement