One more time if you can...

Started by
5 comments, last by Antony52 21 years, 1 month ago
After all this time I came down to these two languages that I am going to use in order to build the game tool editor:Visual Basic .Net or Visual C#.Which in your opinion would be better to use?Believe me I want ask this question again.Anyway I must decide soon.Nevertheless I always like to hear others opinions.
Advertisement
C#, the syntax is nicer and more brief, plus you get operator overloads which is useful for vector math
PERSONALLY I like C# much more than vb.
Featurewise you get a lot of features - some ppl at MS must have been brain dead when leabving things like unsigned data types and operator overloading out of VB.NET. VB has some dirty compiler problems in some areas (I have one escalation open at the moment for an error how VB.NET compilers tread attribute named property assignments).

The C# compiler is supposeldy a little better, too, OCCASIONALLY - nothing really relevant, too (generates a little better bytecode SOME times).

Practically it propably boils down what you think "feels better". I really like the curly braces - VB is a litle too verbose for me.

Regards

Thomas Tomiczek
THONA Consulting Ltd.
(Microsoft MVP C#/.NET)
RegardsThomas TomiczekTHONA Consulting Ltd.(Microsoft MVP C#/.NET)
hmm. what is this buisniess about c-sharp? i never really understood, nor have i had any will or nead to learn about it since i use linux all the time anyway, as far as i can understand its like some sort of mix of java and c++? or am i as we say in sweden "out ridinga bicycle" ? could someone just tell me what the major differences from c++ are, and what are the forefits with c#?
The differences between C++ and C#. Where to start...

I suggest perhaps a read through a decent C# book. I was going to do a compare and contrast in this reply, but any treatment of the subject I give here would be incomplete and probably serve only to confuse.

A good list of books can be found here:

http://www.softsteel.co.uk/tutorials/cSharp/books.html

============================A guy, some jolt, and a whole lot of code :)
im not about to start coding c# i just wanted to know a few differences just list a few of them, like two or three just so i know what im missing
quote:Original post by daggerr
im not about to start coding c# i just wanted to know a few differences just list a few of them, like two or three just so i know what im missing

Ok lets save some time, heres whats about to happen:

poster 1: <insert oversimplified answer>
poster 2: <insert angry correction to poster 1s oversimplification>
poster 1: <insert flame to poster 2>
poster 3: <insert offtopic, irrelevant, and innacurate comparison of C# and C++>
poster 2: <insert line-by-line rebuttle of poster 1 and poster 3s previous message>
poster 4: <insert complaint about not staying on topic>

<insert more flames back and forth till moderators close down topic>

Just search on google if you want a rundown of C#. Real short version: its a language from MS. The syntax is similiar to java.

To stay on topic: VB vs C# for a "game tool editor" - use what you are more comfortable with. If I was equally comfortable with both I'd probably side with C#. If I had no knowledge of either, I would use whatever langauage I did had knowledge of - I wouldnt recommend trying to learn a new langauge while writing something important.

[edited by - ratman on March 4, 2003 9:14:24 AM]

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement