Math in Graphics rendering / engines

Started by
23 comments, last by steg 21 years, 1 month ago
grrr!! can''t edit. Anywho change

if((x_squared + y_squared + z_squared) <= pow(SPHERE_DIAMETER, 2.0f))

to

if((x_squared + y_squared + z_squared) <= SPHERE_DIAMETER_SQUARED)

P.S. My last post seemed a bit snooty. I apologize. Just wanted to point out how yes it is possible to program graphics without a lot of math knowledge but understanding the math can make a huge difference.

Advertisement
This may help...

The Tyr project is here.
The Tyr project is here.
Don''t worry. If you can handle c++ you surely can handle math, ecpecially vectors and matrices are really not that hard.
And it should not be a super big problem to read yourself. Just try to find some excercises with solutions and calculate them by hand.
You need to know almost no math at all in the beginning of 3d programming. I know quite some math but have used almost nothing so far (I''m just a beginner with openGl).

/Andreas
quote:Original post by OctDev
This may help...

The Tyr project is here.

I haven''t read this book, but looking at the page excerpts I see the _one_ thing that drives people away from mathematics books:

quote:
page 6. "Now for an important theorem that reveals the ubiquitous utility of the dot product."

Not hard to understand, after looking up like 10 of those words in a dictionary. Why the heck didn''t he just say:

"And now I''ll explain how the dot product of vectors can be used!"

Oh, I see, that wouldn''t make him sound smart enough.
Ronin Magus:

Some of the language used in maths books is important to ensure standard terminology is used, but I agree, that example you posted is terrible.

Personally I like the maths refreshers and appendices in "Realtime Rendering" for getting the important things across without using overly stuffy language.

Another book I''m a fan of (when combined with other books...) is "Mathematics for Computer Graphics Applications"

I think all technical authors should read Jim Blinn''s books ("A trip down the graphics pipeline", "Dirty pixels" and "Notation Notation Notation") to see how complex topics can be presented in a friendly, easy to read way.

4x500

--
Simon O''Connor
Creative Asylum Ltd
www.creative-asylum.com

Simon O'Connor | Technical Director (Newcastle) Lockwood Publishing | LinkedIn | Personal site

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement