Newbie: How should I start?

Started by
3 comments, last by Curtis123 21 years, 1 month ago
I''m new to programming with DirectX and I just wanted to know the best way to start. I have the DirectX 8.0 SDK and Visual C++, but I don''t know exactly where I should start.
Advertisement
Grab a book and work your way through it! Get Jims book "Programming Role Playing Games With DirectX". I''m re-reading it in sequential order this time - it''s fantastic.

Of course you will probably start learning by initializing DirectX, plotting pixels, drawing lines, polygons and then meshes etc ...

Regards

Ray
You could also read through the tutorials here - GameDev Resources

Former Microsoft XNA and Xbox MVP | Check out my blog for random ramblings on game development

Stop by our group. There are coders of all levels helping each other learn by doing. CGP

GRELLIN

"I installed a skylight in my apartment...The people who live above me are furious."
Steven Bradley .:Personal Journal:. .:WEBPLATES:. .:CGP Beginners Group:. "Time is our most precious resource yet it is the resource we most often waste." ~ Dr. R.M. Powell
First, learn C++. If you don''t know that, you need to before thinking about learning DX or OGL.

If you already know it, then you can start looking at tutorials for DX, or engines.

If you are interested, I have written an engine for making 2D games in D3D. You can reach me on AOL Instant Messenger: ArmySarj.

--Vic--

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement