• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Roach

Bitmaped labels on a curved surface?

This topic is 5615 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi guys, Small problem here. I am trying to put labels on a gluSphere. The I create a bitmap display list as Nehe does in his bitmap lesson and use glRasterPos to set where the label should begin to draw. The problem here is that when I rotate the sphere, the labels (especially the tail end of the labels) curve into the sphere. Because the labels are created dynamically on a one second update, I cannot afford the performance hit of texturing these lables onto the sphere. I have two possible fixs, both of which I really don''t like. Option 1: Give the labels a Z offset so that the labels are totially visible, the only problem with this is that the labels "float" a little too much above the sphere for my (and my bosses) likeing? Option 2: For each letter in the label, do an indivigual raster position so that the labels are all on the same plane. This would probibly work, but it a pain in the @ss, as I would need the font width, etc. Anouther option, that I have tried was to do the labels in an ortho projection. The problem here is that that the labels did not rotate with the sphere, and I really need it to do that. Any suggestions? Thanks Roach

Advertisement

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!