Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

DevLiquidKnight

collsion detection question...

My friend told me it is possible to do the collsion detection with in the 3D Model itself. I have personally never even heard of this because I don''t do much 3D stuff. Anyways I was just wondering if anyone could clarify for me if this is indeed true. If you can code the collsion detection into the models of 3D Objects themselves vs. coding complex algorthms to detect them. Don''t click me! Killer Eagle Software

I know that some people put bounding volume information in the 3D model file. But I don''t think it''s possible to do collision detection with just that. You still need to have an algorithm to check the bounding volumes against each other or against solid portions of the 3d world surrounding the models.

Well they may have been referring using a physics engine to do the collision detection (putting the mass, inertia, ect into the models info). No matter what though you''re going to have to use some kind of algorithm to detect the collision. Either simple bounding spheres or more complex stuff that uses the geometry of the model itself to do the collision detection using RAPID or another alrorithm.

Well thats exactly what you have to do. You test to see if a particular vertex has penetrated another model. Look up the RAPID or OPCODE collision systems to see how they do it. 3d objects are essentially just collections of polygons (excluding curved surfaces) so basically you check two models and see if any of thier triangles intersect. Usually you put a series of bounding boxes around the model and then you compare one series of bounding boxes with another series of bounding boxes (the other model you want to test) and if they overlap you can test the individual polygons.