Vc++6 > .net: msvcrtd.dll not found..

Started by
8 comments, last by hansi pirman 21 years, 1 month ago
hi there.. i''ve just installed visual c++ .net standard edition, and let it convert my vc++6 project to .net. everything compiles fine, but when i want to execute my programm, an error is displayed in a message box: msvcrtd.dll cannot be found... any ideas ? thanks in advance hansi pirman
I am a signature virus. Please add me to your signature so that I may multiply... Resistance is futile.
Advertisement
msvcrtd.dll is the debug version of the VC++ C runtime libraries. I''d think a normal VC++ installation should put those in your system directory, but in your case that apparently didn''t happen.

Search the VC++ CDs for it.

"If there is a God, he is a malign thug."
-- Mark Twain
--AnkhSVN - A Visual Studio .NET Addin for the Subversion version control system.[Project site] [IRC channel] [Blog]
thanks for your answer Arild Fines

i have countless msvcrt.dll''s on my pc, but none with "d"
is d the debug version ?

i even recreated the whole project, and it still wants this msvcrtd.dll.

am i using somethin obselte with .net now ?
(there are some new msvcp70.dll''s)
or is my installation maybe corrupt ? (i have bought an original version, standard, and installed it with no errors..)

kind regards
hansi pirman
I am a signature virus. Please add me to your signature so that I may multiply... Resistance is futile.
quote:Chris Farley
I''m sorry, I don''t speak Japanese
- The trade-off between price and quality does not exist in Japan. Rather, the idea that high quality brings on cost reduction is widely accepted.-- Tajima & Matsubara
i understand a little japanese... i can read n write it and know about 100 kangi''z
"a low level aho master like you couldn't kill me even if I let you"
wtf?

"And that whole philosophy has crept into everything we do now. Music''s the last thing where people can go and pay the same amount of money for a piece of shit or a diamond. And that''s why we''ve got to care about it."
- Ashcroft
quote:Original post by hansi pirman
thanks for your answer Arild Fines

i have countless msvcrt.dll''s on my pc, but none with "d"
is d the debug version ?

Yes.

quote:
i even recreated the whole project, and it still wants this msvcrtd.dll.

am i using somethin obselte with .net now ?
(there are some new msvcp70.dll''s)
or is my installation maybe corrupt ? (i have bought an original version, standard, and installed it with no errors..)

As I said earlier, a VC++ installation should place the debug dlls in your system(C:\windows) dir. Since they''re not there, you should search the VC++ CDs for them.

Worst case - do a google search for the .dll. This is a bit risky, though, since the dll you download might have been tampered with.

As for the rest of the thread: WTF?

"If there is a God, he is a malign thug."
-- Mark Twain
--AnkhSVN - A Visual Studio .NET Addin for the Subversion version control system.[Project site] [IRC channel] [Blog]
did you try rebuild all? msvcrtd.dll is the c runtime for vc6. apps build for vs.net should be bound to msvcr70d.dll, which should be installed with .net.
i have found the problem:
it was openIL (devil).
i used the debug version of it, and it seems to depend on this msvcrtd.dll.
i now switched to the runtime version of devIL. (sience the normal msvcrt.dll is found on my pc).
i can execute my programm now, but i don't think its a good solution to mix a vc++6 release dll with vc++7 debug dll's.

and because I am mixing them, i get a "LINK : warning LNK4098: ...".

it looks not like devIL provides a vc++7 compatible version.

so what now ? compile devil in vc++7 myself ? (plase not )
or just life with this little warning...

is it also bad to mix vc++6 and vc++7 dll's or is it just bad to mix debug/runtime dll's?

thanks in advance
kind regards
hp

[edited by - hansi pirman on March 4, 2003 4:55:39 PM]
just bad to mix debug with release versions.

The debug version allows for dis-asmbely so you can step into the code easier. also debug versions provide alot more overhead with tracing going on in the background.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement