Game Engine...

Started by
8 comments, last by RanBlade 21 years, 1 month ago
Ok Iam pretty new to this but what exactly does creating a game engine involve. what exactly is a engine? and how long do they normally take to make? again iam fairly new to computer programming. I mean I know C++ console programming pretty well and some api stuff ok and just started GL ... just curious tho.. thanks Ranblade

Eric Ranaldi a.k.a RanBlade

[size=1]"Passion is what drives you to stay up until 4am fixing that bug that hardly anyone would notice...

[size=1]Passion is where great games come from, if you dont live and breathe games you shouldn't be in the games industry."

[size=2]- Dave Pottinger, Ensemble Studios

[size=1][GameDev][C++ Page][Unity Game Engine][Panda3D Game Engine][NeHe Productions][Drunken Hyena][MSDN][Beej's Guide to Network Programming]

[size=1][FreedBSD][My Site][Gamasutra][Khan Acadamey]

Advertisement
An engine is just code that can do everything needed to make a game with. It should be able to load textures and models, draw the models, and some kind of class to move around the model with collision detection. Also it should be able to open a window to draw all of this in. It took me about a month to have my first working engine, but it was really bad and hard to use. My third and current engine took me about a week to write, and it is much better than my first two. Simply put, it takes alot of time and failure to make a nice engine.
ah i c... so with the game engine all u really should have to do with it is input what textures go where.. and then do minor editing for the models if its a diff game or something? but i understand the trial error thing but i see the main thing about a engine now.. thx man

[size=1]"Passion is what drives you to stay up until 4am fixing that bug that hardly anyone would notice...

[size=1]Passion is where great games come from, if you dont live and breathe games you shouldn't be in the games industry."

[size=1][GameDev][C++ Page][Unity Game Engine][Panda3D Game Engine][NeHe Productions][Drunken Hyena][MSDN][Beej's Guide to Network Programming]

Don''t jump right into making a whole engine while you''re learning. Make a bunch of small programs, then write your engine after you already know what your doing.
yup was the plan i dont like getting over my head... iam still going thru nehes tutorials... and they are working great easiest to understand programming tutorials i have ever read..

quote:and they are working great easiest to understand programming tutorials i have ever read..

wtf. Don''t get me wrong NeHe your tuts cover some WICKED aspects and are generally cool but they are piss poorley coded.
Piss poorly, how?
Like slow?
Or hard to understand?
Or else?

If hard to understand, I learnt from them.
If slow, they tutorials to help understand
if else, they''re free!
quote:Original post by Anonymous Poster
Piss poorly, how?
Like slow?
Or hard to understand?
Or else?

If hard to understand, I learnt from them.
If slow, they tutorials to help understand
if else, they''re free!

LOL
I think NeHe''s tuts are really good for learning... I learned from them too...

NeHe: I''m not a guru.

PM

I hope GeForce FX is a joke .

Excuse my poor english!
PM Times change...Excuse my poor english!
The best way to understand what engines do is just to see how it is used. In other words you might put this code in your program:

Engine->LoadWorld( "World.3ds" ); // Load the worldEngine->LoadModel( &BadGuy, "BadGuy.3ds" ); // Load the buy guy 3D modelEngine->LoadModel( &Player, "PlayerModel.3ds" ); // Load the player''s 3D model // Now populate the world with a bunch of bad guysfor( int n = 0; n < 32; n ++ )    Engine->AddEntity( &BadGuy, Vector.Random(), Vector.Random() );// and finally add the playerEngine->AddEntity( &Player, Vector(0,0,0), Vector(0,0,0) );  

So that engine has a generic function ''LoadModel'' and you give that function parameters to load any model, as opposed to hard-coding it like writing a function "LoadBadGuyModel()".
All engines are are commonly used functions placed outside of the specific game itself. Then you can take that engine and use it in another game without rewriting everything.

NeHe does not use any engines in their tutorials -- everything is hard-coded. That is very good for learning but not good if you want to write a complete game.

~CGameProgrammer( );
DevImg.net - Post screenshots, comment on others.
~CGameProgrammer( );Developer Image Exchange -- New Features: Upload screenshots of your games (size is unlimited) and upload the game itself (up to 10MB). Free. No registration needed.
ahem... I actually think that Nehe''s tuts were quite good, even if they were poorly coded. But they are only for learning general OpenGL, and not really for learning how to make an engine. Although there were the gamedevelopment tutorials on his site, where they were working on an engine, but I don''t know what happened to that... Does anyone else know?

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement