• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

per pixel lights and metal?

This topic is 5468 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

You guys also noticed that a metal textures looks the best with bumpy per pixel lights? Somehow my brick texture is all washed out looking compared to the metal texture. Hmm... now I know why doom3 like engines use lots of metal My light eq. is: (ambient + (att.*(L*N'')*Lcolor) + (att.*(H*N'')^2*glossmap)) * base texture. I use norm. cubemaps for both diffuse and specular as it gives that nice glowing light effect. I only have two texture stages so each attenuated point light takes 4 passes with 1 for initial ambient and 1 for final base texture, so 6 total. Runs ok on a test app with two lights and shadow volumes. The modulate tex. op (in gloss pass) seemed to sped things up, I used specular light before I switched to glossmaps and it was slower. How are you guys authoring gloss maps? By hand or is there a filter or color manipulation you do on your base textures to produce light and dark areas suitable for glossmaps? I do it by hand now, with possibly loading gloss into alpha channel of normal map upon loadup into app.

Advertisement

• Advertisement