Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

easy_dog

Tips for a newbie someone?

Well, Im a newbie in the sense that I have only programmed c++ text based programs. And offcourse darkbasic, basic, qbasic and a bunch of other languages. But now I want to move on to the glorius world of 3d. Can anyone give me any good tips on how to start. I dont really know what to learn first and so on.

Guest Anonymous Poster
1."Assembly Language Step-by-Step" (Jeff Duntemann) -> great book
2. Adam''s online assembly tutorials (much about VGA programming)
3. with this knowledge, try to build a game.

I myself completed this in about 2 months...

Have a look at the For Beginners section on this site.

Have a look at the DirectX resources on this site.

And have a look at the reference section in general on this site.

P.S. There are easier ways to start learning 3d other than reading "Assembly Language Step-by-Step" However it *is* an awesome book.

[edited by - Fingolfin on March 5, 2003 5:38:04 AM]

Guest Anonymous Poster
hm, my login and password dont work

Easy_dog´s answer:

Thanx, I think I will start out with assembly, since I might need it in the future to get the most speed when writing a 3d engine(which is my goal, not for some time though).

After assembler Ill try to get some stuff on direct x and learn that, is there something else I should know after that to create a 3d engine?

quote:
After assembler Ill try to get some stuff on direct x and learn that, is there something else I should know after that to create a 3d engine?

Yes... experience is very usefull !

"Never use brutal force, always HAMMER !!!"

quote:

Yes... experience is very usefull !

quote:

Thanx, I think I will start out with assembly, since I might need it in the future to get the most speed when writing a 3d engine(which is my goal, not for some time though).

Fair enough, though I would strongly recommend against that approach. A detailed knowledge of assembly isn't needed to create a 3d engine anymore.

I think you'd be better off to keep learning C++/Win32 and learn a graphics API like DirectX or OpenGl. You can pick up assembly language along the way (if you need it or for interests sake). You'll have more fun and get things on the screen more quickly if you do it this way.

Don't get me wrong. I love to know how things work at the hardware level, but really and truly I don't think that would be the best place to start. Knowledge of assembly language is not essential these days.

Cheers,

Adrian.

[edited by - Fingolfin on March 5, 2003 8:48:08 AM]

Don''t get me wrong, i''m all about doing things for myself. I wrote my own program to load 3ds files, and everything i do starts from scratch. I prefer using C over C++. But i would suggest that, in this case, you use a prewritten graphics API such as openGL or DX rather than diving into the assembly. Unless you have a masters in EE, you aren''t gonna do any better than DX. It automatically provides hardware acceleration if your video card supports it (and every video card on the market today does). I wrote an amateur implementation of OpenGL in college, and it''s a very involved process. It took several months to get anything worthwhile on the screen, and it didn''t provide hardware acceleration, texture mapping, no glut library, only one light, etc. To write openGL from scratch, it would take you over a year.

Guest Anonymous Poster
Well, I wherent going to try to create a whole 3d engine with assembler. Just use assembler for the parts that really needs speed. And you do build a 3d engine around dx or gl dont you, they arent 3d engines themselves, theyre only librarys, or am I wrong?

Should I use c or c++? I know c++ has classes and so on, but is it necessary, Ive heard people say that c is the language to do games and 3d engines in.