Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

uglyfrog

help:script language

uglyfrog    122
Now, I am working on a small RPG game. Due to quite lots of narrative plots and conversations embedded in the game, someone suggested me to use a good script language maintaining them for the sake of simplicity. As a novice, I feel a little bit confused to use the script language. For I use C++ during the all programming, I will really appreciate that someone could recommend a handful and easy-learning script language for the implementation of RPG game. Thx!

Drazgal    368
Well the tutorials on Flipcode.com and here are rather good or you could try Game Scripting Mastery for a book referance (very handy and also has a scripting engine or two to look at).

janharal    138
Take a look at Lua (www.lua.org). It''s quite easy to integrate with c++ and the language shouldn''t be too hard too learn.

Python is another alternative. More features->more time to learn.

Writing your own scripting language is also a possibility, but
then you will spend _a lot_ of time writing a script-engine instead of a game - your choice..

Mull    134
Lua is indeed an excellent way to integrate a scripting language into C/C++. It''s easily extended as well. From my experience, if you want to expose C++ classes, member data, etc. to Lua things can get a little tricky. tolua (http://www.tecgraf.puc-rio.br/~celes/tolua/) is a useful tool to help out in that area.