opengl or dsl ?

Started by
5 comments, last by Tato 21 years, 1 month ago
opengl or libdsl its easier for make isometric games ? (i don''t speak english)
Advertisement
*libSDL

SDL is a wrapper for OpenGL. So what do you want to do, learn straight OpenGL, or use a wrapper for it? It''s up to you.

Join the World Wide Revolution:
quote:Original post by Tato
(i don''t speak english)

Too bad...

To answer your question:
libSDL uses OpenGL, so you might have to learn some
OpenGL anyway (depends on how you want to handle your tiles).
However it might be easier to start with SDL and only use
the 2D capabilities of the library first.

Good luck,
Pat
So is it worth doing a simple isometric engine (nothing hugely attractive) in OpenGL? Or should I just stick to 2D tiles?
Wow and I thought SDL was a wrapper for DX on the windows platform... This is of course if your doing 2d graphics if your doing 3d then your going to use opengl anyway. The ZEngine wraps SDL and opengl, uses opengl to rend the 2d stuff, and sdl for everything else..
Interested in being apart of a team of people that are developing a toolkit that can help anyone product an online game? Then click here http://tangle.thomson.id.au/
quote:Original post by neurokaotix
SDL is a wrapper for OpenGL.

This is totally untrue. SDL is a collection of multimedia functions, including a 2D frame buffer library. It has NO 3D capabilities at all. Think of it as DirectX without Direct3D.

On Windows, SDL uses DirectDraw to do all of its drawing. On other platforms, it uses the platform-specific APIs to take care of drawing.

However, you can create an OpenGL rendering context in SDL, and then make OGL calls to fill that window. As soon as you do this, no SDL frame library call will work. You can still use the audio, joystick, etc. libraries, but not the frame library.

So, if you use SDL with OpenGL, you will lose all of the 2D drawing abilities of SDL.

Note: there are libraries around that are trying to change SDL to use OpenGL for its 2D rendering, but they are experimental at this time.
SDL == Simple DirectMedia Layer
SDL != Simple OpenGL Layer
"Make a world of your own" - Kurt Cobain

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement