How to make small demo?

Started by
6 comments, last by Allebarde 21 years ago
Hi! I''ve just download some 64ko opengl demo: it''s strange, the smallest opengl program i made was bigger than 64ko. They must use exe packers, data packers, no? I''ve heard about: player: MiniFMOD 1.6 by Firelight Multimedia direct draw interface: TinyPTC 0.8 by Gaffer exe packer: UPX 1.21w by Markus F.X.J. Oberhumer & Laszlo Molnar data packer: zlib 1.0.4 by Jean-loup Gailly & Mark Adler How does it work? DO the people who make demo use those programs? This FMOD: its a player for mp3 and other files no? So how to make small demos? Thanks
Advertisement
One thing they also do is they generate all the textures/models/sounds at runtime.
If you use Visual C++ then have you choose too ''ignore all default libraries'' in the Project Settings? This usually helps eat some kb''s. And I presume you build a release instead of a debug build which tend too be quite large.
As sideh said, you don''t want too use pre-maid textures and objects. Some simple objects you can link to your project and then use a mesh smooth to make it more detailed. For textures there is a whole range of different approaches you can take, You can build textures with a couple of sin and cos functions. You can also use some perlin noise. If you want to make it even smaller you drop out the minifmod and makes your own player and wave generator to create all the samples at runtime. Code optimization is also required to make really good 64kb intros, don''t use more code then you need, no fancy shit, just all that is necessery, and Good Luck!
Yeah but fmod is the smallest way i think to play music..
But people who make 64ko demos, use a lot of packers no?
I can''t think that we can generate quake3 texture runtime!! we can only generate shit textures, i mean simple textures
if you want quake3 textures then perhaps you shouldn''t make 64kb intros
Exe-packers like upx is ofcourse used when making them. Instead of using minifmod you can generate wavesamples and play them using windows midi support or play them through DirectX, this way it will be much smaller when compared to a .xm file and minifmod. Ok, some .xm files can be as small as 2kb but then they don''t sound that interesting.
If you use mathematics and generate textures you can make the most exciting results, it doesn''t need too be ugly as hell. It''s all about inventing new ways. Look at a couple of 64kb intros and try to figure out how they done it. At www.cfxweb.net (and in some old Hugi diskmag) there is a tutorial on how to make nice textures this way (by Inopia/Aardbei I think(?)). Ofcourse you can link some jpg''s and use the jpeg compression from MS Internet Explorer (can''t remember which command that is in vc++) too decompress them but if you have a couple of them the 64kb limit will be reached quite fast. You don''t want them jpeg''s being too much compressed because then they look like crap and not like quake3.
You can do pretty strange ( and perhaps nice ) textures with a few math routines

this is shots from the editor.. the lib that recreates the files are about 2kb, and the definitionfiles are 40-50 bytes per segment.

http://www.annat.nu/files/edit.jpg
http://www.annat.nu/files/retina.jpg

[edited by - MazyNoc on March 5, 2003 4:05:40 PM]
just found some relevant tutorials over at ukscene.org

tutorials here

You can make your exes smaller using UPX
http://upx.sourceforge.net

[edited by - axodoss on March 18, 2003 3:40:18 PM]

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement