Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Spinoza

old game code

I do think there should be a source code disclosure law for certain software that doesn''t have any commercial value anymore. Keeping everything secrect doesn''t leave a lot of room for innovation especially if you''re just getting in the field.

quote:
Original post by MOVSW
I do think there should be a source code disclosure law for certain software that doesn''t have any commercial value anymore. Keeping everything secrect doesn''t leave a lot of room for innovation especially if you''re just getting in the field.

There are a few problems:

1. NDA agreements for developers don''t usually come with a "time-out" clause. This kills any chance of seeing source code for, say, NES titles.

2. Developers don''t always keep old source code lying around. In the early ''80s, nobody considered the possibility of some kind of emulation ''scene'' appearing ten years after their games were long forgotten. Games were "write-and-forget" products, with a limited shelf-life and negligible maintenance.

3. Many developers, including myself, don''t consider ourselves ''artists'' in the pretentious Damian Hirst sense. Michelangelo considered himself an artisan , not an "artist". As far as he and his employer were concerned, the Sistine Chapel''s ceiling was just an expensive bit of interior decorating. Even today, it''s more famous for the process of its creation than for its content.

I know ID software released the Quake 1 + 2 Sourceode under GPL (www.idsoftware.com) and Raven Software have released their sourcecode for Hexen/Heretic (www.ravensoft.com - you may have to search a little but it''s there)

-----------------------------
"Mr Sandman bring me a dream"

I don''t think there should be a law making anyone disclose anything ... but I do believe the laws should reduce the patent / copyright times for software, to the point where people have that option more readily (without getting managers all worried about giving up their properties and such) and also the community should encourage it ... need a community of developers who writes to software companies and asks them to release old code ... and for that, someone must offer a place to put it .. perhaps some sort of Old Game archive or museum ... where people can see screen shots, and download code and such ... this way it would be good advertising / publicity for the publishers / creator ... and good for people who want access to the code (although most code 10 years old is irrelevant ... the SDL library alone would exceed the starting point of trying to any ancient game .. especially since those old game don''t usually run right one new computers.

Wasnt the original spy hunter game a coin op ? All though now that I think about it I think I had a version of it on my collecovision. As for why? You might not be able to use the code directly but it must be a lot easier to look at that and get an idea of how to recreate it in VC++ than doing it with out?

It just seems that a lot could be learned from having code like that and getting a chance to tweak a few things and see how it changes the game.