Big O

Started by
10 comments, last by Some Guy 21 years, 1 month ago
May I ask what O(n) is and means? What is the Big O function? I''m really not sure how to ask this or which forum I should have put it in, but please help.
Advertisement
It''s a way of representing how an algorithm performance is affected by the number of elements in must operate on.

O(n) means the performance is a direct multiple of the number of elements n.

O(n^2) means the performance takes a lot longer (7 elements = 49, 8 elements = 64)

There''s other varieties, too. O(n log n), etc.

Generally, this notation is used to describe the performance of sort algorithms.

There isn''t really any O function per se. Honestly, I don''t know how they calculate what the parameter is for a given algorithm.
It's not what you're taught, it's what you learn.
(I might be a bit rusty, I haven''t really used big O notation in a while)
In simplistic terms it''s a way of expressing how fast an algorithm is, without refering to actual CPU speed and taking into account how well it performs with different sized datasets ("n" is an abstraction of the dataset/input).

Lets look at some sorting algorithms and how "fast" they are.

SortA
Numbers (N)  Time taken1000         12000         23000         3...1000000      1000 

SortB
Numbers (N)  Time taken1000         12000         43000         9...1000000      10000000 

As you can see SortA is linear, while SortB is expontental. SortA could be expressed simply as O(n), while SortB would be O(n^2). Obviously it gets more complex, but the main objective is to measure how well the algorithm performs on different data sizes (for instance O(10n) is slower than O(n^2) on small datasets, but faster on large ones). It also lets you determine how fast an algorithm is without regard to actual implementation. This way you can avoid being mislead by one algorithm having a better implmentation than another (if one is optimized in assembler and the other is written in a script language the times would not accurately reflect the algorithms performance except on very large datasets)
Big O notation is a simplified expression how the program runs no matter how big the data set may be.

Take for example this equation: 2 + 3 + 4.

This equation will be evaluated in constant time, because there are no variables present that could change how many values there are. There will always be 3 values, so we can call this O(1) meaning, that it will always take a constant number of steps to compute this sum.

Now take this equation: 2+3+N!, where n is a variable.

N can hold any value, from 0 to infinity. So as N gets really really large, those extra 2 steps to add 2 and 3 dont make any differenece (in computing time) so we simplify this to say that it will take O(n) steps to add everything together.

Now take this one: N^2 + N! + N! + 3 + 2 + 1

It may make sense at first to call this O(N^2+N+N), because N can get be really big. But if we remember what happened last example the bigger term will eventually overule everything.
Take N to be 10,000, not a very large number in computing terms. Now, N^2 = 1bilion steps to compute this. Now we could add on the other steps getting 1 billion 20 thousand and 6 steps, but in proportions, 20 thousand doesnt really matter.

So in general, BIG(O) notation is not accurate to the T persay, but it is a good indication of how your program might run when things get very large.

[edited by - wizard341 on March 5, 2003 3:36:48 PM]
Big-O ... O(n) is the upper time bound than an algorithm (or i guess anything you are modeling for that matter could take. In this case, O(n) would mean that whatever you are modeling takes at most linear time. This is useful when comparing algorithms. An algorithm that runs in O(n*n) will take much longer than one running in O(n) or O(n log n) . . . im sure someone else will elaborate more, but this is the gist. . . .also

O(3n) == O(n+5) == O(3n + 4n) . . . they all boil down to linear time.

O(log n) < O(n) < O(n log n) < O(n*n) . . .

hope that sheds some light
And in terms of calculating the O function for a given algorithm... I''d say you step through it several times untill you see a patern, and then write a forumula for it.
O(c) == "y = constant". An algorithm denoted by O(c) would take the same time to complete no matter what the size of the data set. This performance could be experienced when for instance, accessing cells in an array.

[edited by - 63616C68h on March 5, 2003 6:25:30 PM]
Keep coming back, because it's worth it, if you work it, so work it, you're worth it!
So it''s all general fuzzy logic, then.
It''s not fuzzy logic; this stuff is mathematically provable. But most people just settle for experimental values.

But... but that''s what HITLER would say!!
Not so much logic as a measurement of efficiency for a method.
It's not what you're taught, it's what you learn.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement