Ok....Im a total n00b....plz dont flame me...

Started by
9 comments, last by Darknite 21 years, 1 month ago
Ok i want to know how to make games based of the UT2k3 engine(or mostly fps). Can u plz give me some tips on what books to buy and where to start(c,c++ etc)? Thank You
Advertisement
Hi!

I suggest you don''t start thinking about writing games until you acquired a thorough knowledge about general programming. Since you''re planning on making games when you got that, I suggest you start learning C++. The very best book in my opinion to learn C++ is "Thinking in C++: Volume One", written by Bruce Eckel and freely available at www.bruceeckel.com. A basic tutorial on C should get you started on the C-background needed to get through the book. I can''t recommend any because I simply never read one! But make sure that you''re able to "think in terms of the problem and not the programming language you''re using to solve it!" (This is taken almost straight from the book).

Anyways, I hope I could help...
-Drag0n

"Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the universe trying to build bigger and better idiots. So far, the universe is winning..." -- Rich Cook
-----------------------------"Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the universe trying to build bigger and better idiots. So far, the universe is winning..." -- Rich Cook"...nobody ever accused English pronounciation and spelling of being logical." -- Bjarne Stroustrup"...the war on terror is going badly because, if you where to compare it to WWII, it's like America being attacked by Japan, and responding by invading Brazil." -- Michalson
If you plan using UT2k3 engine then be sure you have a very big bank account as this engine isn''t free and requires licensing,
(i don''t advice you to try this),better try first a free engine like Genesis 3d .As for programming language the only way for fps is c/c++ for books on c++ i recommend you :C++ THE COMPLETE REFERENCE 3RD EDITION AND C++ PRIMER PLUS 3RD EDITION.
Virtus junxit, mors non separabit
I am not sure I understand, but do you want to make an Engine like the UT2k3 Engine, or a new game using the ut2k3 engine?

In the first case: Start with the "For Beginners" section here on Gamedev. There are lots of resources on where to start.

In the second case: Google for resources on UT Scripting. There are plenty of good sites related to Scripting for UT/UT2k3. These will teach you how to make a Mod for that game.
Where to start:
So you want to make a game, huh? Alright, first thing''s first. You need to pick a programming language. I''m assuming by your post that you have no prior expirience with c/c++ so you can start by purchasing books on the subject at amazon.com. I never bought any books myself, I learned from online tutorials.

Why you won''t be using the UT2k3 engine:
$$$^10

Ok, fine. What engines can I use?:
Glad you asked! OGRE, Crystal Space 3D, and The Nebula Device are all good choices because they''re free (open source) and have a slew of features. My personal recommendation? OGRE. It seems to be the easiest of the three. The most complete however is probably The Nebula Device. It''s probably the most complicated of the three as well.

Where can I find a lot of good tutorials?:
Here on GameDev.net

Which API should I use?:
It''s up to you, Direct3D and OpenGL are pretty similar in a lot of ways, though they differ just as much. There''s an article here on gamedev that tries to answer that age-old question.

Join the World Wide Revolution:
Thanks a million ppl!! i guess i wont be makin any games w/ the ut2k3 engine. ill prolly make mods and stuff for it. Hmm i just wonder what language to use 1st c or c++ b/c i guess u can learn one use that knowledge to learn the other one. i do not have any knowledge about c or c++ (im 15 and want to get a headstart/experience in this field). So anymore info will be helpfull. thanks again!
Thanks a million ppl!! i guess i wont be makin any games w/ the ut2k3 engine. ill prolly make mods and stuff for it. Hmm i just wonder what language to use 1st c or c++ b/c i guess u can learn one use that knowledge to learn the other one. i do not have any knowledge about c or c++ (im 16 and want to get a headstart/experience in this field). So anymore info will be helpfull. thanks again!
As I already said. If you want to make mods for UT2k3, you''ll want to learn UTScript first. It will allow you to make relatively important changes to the game. You will get to make some so-called "mutators" first.
UTScript does have a very similar syntax to C++ and is heavily Object Oriented, but I can''t tell you more. I never used it. Just had a look at the code once.
Check out Chimeric over at Beyondunreal.
I think it''s one of the better Unreal Scripting related sites around. There you''ll certainly find what you''re looking for.

I suggest getting this book on C programming for beginners.(C Primer Plus, "4th edition")I am a beginner myself and this book is easy to understand and follow. You might wanna get C++ Primer Plus 4th edition when your done with that. This should give you a good start on the stuff you need to learn programming.
I am like you...I have no name.
Unreal script is a mix of Java and C++, so buckle up. The hardest part will not be the languages but understanding how the engine works to mod it.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement