Allegro anyone?

Started by
7 comments, last by sonicteam 21 years, 1 month ago
I have been a member here at Gamedev.net for quite some time and I have yet seen any post about the wonderful game programing libary titled ALLEGRO! Allegro is by far the COOLEST and EASIEST gameing lib avalible. This lib is great for newbies and it''s portable to other Operating Systems. Another plus is that the Documentation is great. This lib may not tickle the advanced programer but will certainly appeal to the new kid on the block. www.allegro.cc Check it out and post your re''s here.......
Advertisement
I messed with it for a while. Even though I am a bit above the recommended experience level, it''s great to make simple little things like battle engine tests quickly and not having to wory about various messy problems associated with directX.

--------------------------------------------
Yunalesca: MEGA DEATH!
Anima: *shrugs off Mega Death* PAIN!
Yunalesca: Gahh! You killed me with your EYE!
With love, AnonymousPosterChild
Ahh so you have seen the light!

Why did you change so quickly and what LIB are you using now.
I just use it (allegro) for little things to test.

Mostly I use OpenGL for 3d/2d stuff, and about a million other API''s for sound and whatnot. And, on occasion I will use directX

--------------------------------------------
Yunalesca: MEGA DEATH!
Anima: *shrugs off Mega Death* PAIN!
Yunalesca: Gahh! You killed me with your EYE!
With love, AnonymousPosterChild
I was considering using Allegro and I played with it while back. I decided to go with SDL because I eventually plan on doing 3d stuff and SDL integrates very well with OpenGL.

I have recently heard about AllegroGL but its still in very early developement from what I can tell.

IMHO, SDL is just as easy or even easier than Allegro.

I call Allegro the "Ultimate Demo Maker" . I used to mess around with it a lot, and I learned a ton from it, and I learned a ton of how much I hate it.
"Make a world of your own" - Kurt Cobain
I switched my project from directX 8.1 to allegro mid way through development so I could support older machines. It''s a very nice little library.

When I saw the Allegro menu system, I hissed like Dracula exposed to light...

Go download the game "Timewarp" (Star control clone) and you''ll know what I mean.
The neat thing about a lib like allegro is it allows you to concentrate on learning how to program a game as compared to learning an API. Believe it or not game programming is more than drawing to the screen! SDL is simpler in that it doesn''t have the reach feature set that allegro does. SDL also supports opengl better. The allegro gui is yucky/nasty/ugly but its skinnable and I''ve seen some nice gui libs written on top of it.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement