Opengl VS DirectX

Started by
6 comments, last by XDarkScar 21 years, 1 month ago
OK im a noob here, Im learning c++ steadly, and well I was looking at some Opengl and DirectX demo's and crap and I don't know what to learn after c++. what has better performance? what is out there more? what is more stable? what just looks better? tx P.S. Plz don't start a war here [edited by - XDarkScar on March 5, 2003 5:51:16 PM] [edited by - XDarkScar on March 5, 2003 5:52:57 PM]
Easy way of programming: Coding, Debugging, Swearing.
Google / Game Tutorials / GameDev.Net / My Project server. Check it out.
Project: N/A / Percent Complete: 0% / Due Date: N/A
Advertisement
It''s all just a matter of opinion.

Join the World Wide Revolution:
quote:Original post by XDarkScar
P.S. Plz don''t start a war here

Then dont post about things that cause them.

Also, you cannot compair DirectX to OpenGL, since DirectX is DirectSound, DirectInput, Direct3D, DirectDraw, etc.

OpenGL is JUST a 3D graphics API.

You are trying to compair jello to batman.
...I knew that....
Opengl
vs
Direct3D
Easy way of programming: Coding, Debugging, Swearing.
Google / Game Tutorials / GameDev.Net / My Project server. Check it out.
Project: N/A / Percent Complete: 0% / Due Date: N/A
They are equal! Try them both and use the one you are more comfortable with.

GRELLIN

"I installed a skylight in my apartment...The people who live above me are furious."
Steven Bradley .:Personal Journal:. .:WEBPLATES:. .:CGP Beginners Group:. "Time is our most precious resource yet it is the resource we most often waste." ~ Dr. R.M. Powell
Jellow and batman?

More like trying to compare the Justice League and Superman

Join the World Wide Revolution:
OpenGL doesn''t restrict you to windows, like DX does. I think it''s a little easier to learn. When you''re comparing the two, you probably want to compare openGL to direct3d, so it''s an even playing field. DX''s best feature, to me, is the ease of loading graphics files, such 3ds files, into your code. Somewhere down the line, you''ll find that modeling everything in C is an endless project, and you''ll turn to something like 3d studio or maya for the artwork. At that point, you''ll wish you had learned D3d back when you first started.
Read this and choose one.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement