Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Yann L

FAQ updated: resource section added

Hey all, I finally managed to update the forum FAQ, and added a graphics programming resource section. It's just a first draft, I'm going to add new stuff over time, as new interesting papers and articles are published. A few topics are not yet included (raytracing, photon mapping, etc). I have some good links about those topics in my bookmarks, and I'll try to add them in a couple of days. Please let me know what you think about the new section, and if you encounter any HTML problems or dead links. Also, if you would like to contribute good links, good GDNet threads, or other suggestions, just post them here, and I might add them to the FAQ (if they fit in). Enjoy ! Oh, BTW, I would recommend to download these two new papers, they are very interesting: * "Interactive Rendering of Atmospheric Scattering Effects Using Graphics Hardware" by Dobashi, Nishita (in the Sky/Atmosphere section) * "Simple Navier Stokes solver" in the water/smoke section. / Yann [edited by - Yann L on March 5, 2003 9:15:36 PM]

Looks pretty nice! I had to laugh, though, because it looks like you went out of your way to put as many HTML constructs on there as possible. This''ll make the FAQ worth reading for once (unlike a few other forum FAQs, you know who you are).

great (and sweet html, yep:D)
can''t wait for raytracing links:D lets see if you find some i don''t have yet:D

and yet, those two papers are great (i know them yet.. have you ran the ati demo showing the implementation of the scattering? looks soo sweet..:D)

"take a look around" - limp bizkit
www.google.com

Hmmmm, how many lives do I need to actually understand all this stuff to actually make something that shall look appropriately ?
Other than that, my printer is full of smoke now... (and my brain will be too, but later this evening when I get home to start the studying - yummy !)

Yann - Excellent work here ! But please lock this thread up - I found it just by chance. Others might miss it which would be pitty.

[edited by - VladR on March 7, 2003 8:28:58 AM]

quote:

But please lock this thread up - I found it just by chance. Others might miss it which would be pitty.

I can't. If I close it, then it will drop through rather quickly, due to noone being able to post something. And the current forum software doesn't allow sticky threads for a single forum alone (the thread would appear on all forums at the same time, and I don't have to required permission level to create one anyway (only staff has)).

davepermen: hmm, I just noticed that lots of my raytracing links are a little outdated (dead links, etc). I haven't done much raytracing lately (but I have loads of radiosity, photon mapping and Metropolis light-transport papers, if anyone is interested ). Do you happen to have some really good raytracing links ? Rhethorical question, seing the raytracing fan you are, you surely have A couple beginner level, couple intermediate, and a couple of advanced ones ?

quote:
Original post by VladR
Hmmmm, how many lives do I need to actually understand all this stuff to actually make something that shall look appropriately ?

Heh, I figured I should add some more basic stuff that is more suited for beginners. But I don't really have many good non-advanced links. That's why the FAQ is going to be dynamic: if you have some nice links you would find appropriate for the FAQ, just post them here and I'll add them to the list (does anyone know about a good lightmapping tutorial ?)

[edited by - Yann L on March 7, 2003 12:45:06 PM]

quote:
Original post by Yann L
* "Simple Navier Stokes solver" in the water/smoke section.

It surprises me how Stam is able to keep on writing papers on basically the same thing, but this paper had some interesting editorializing that partially redeemed it.

[Edit: Is anyone else finding it difficult to post on gamedev? I have no problems loading pages, but can''t seem to post. One more try.. HTTP500 internal server error]

quote:
Original post by greeneggs
It surprises me how Stam is able to keep on writing papers on basically the same thing, but this paper had some interesting editorializing that partially redeemed it.

Well, the NS equations are the NS equations, there''s not really much more to say about them than has already been done. But this paper is more interesting for beginners, IMO, considering that it contains an easy to understand step-by-step guide, and lots of source. Many beginners avoid NSE solvers, because of the math presented other academic papers. In fact, it''s not very hard to implement, and a somewhat more beginner targeted paper is not a bad thing.

quote:
Original post by Yann L
Well, the NS equations are the NS equations, there''s not really much more to say about them than has already been done.

Well, I wouldn''t mind an authoritative discussion of the technical aspects. E.g., the effects of including the extra projection step are, before velocity advection. Also, the effect of discretizing the diffusion versus solving for it (either by relaxation or conjugate gradient). Various methods of dealing with (dynamic) boundary conditions. Finally, projection methods (I guess ILU(1) or MILU(1) preconditioners, but maybe 2nd order? As a graphics person, I don''t have much experience.) Nothing particularly important or difficult, but just useful for an implementer to know.

I have links to resources on every knowledge level. My archive is searchable, but unfortunately not organized. Whenever I have some time I''ll try to sort everything out and post links people might find interesting.

WOW, thanks for the effort Yann, alot of this stuff is way over my head but at leats i''ll have a good place to look for more advanced stuff when i get too that stage, if that made sense.

Anyway i read about locking this thread, to solve the problem you could put a link to this thread in the FAQ, no?

Anyway thats pretty much all I had to say.

Bye!

Nice here''s a couple of suggestions to add

File Format Reference http://www.wotsit.org/ (yes i know its hosted by gamedev but still)

VQ Compression http://www.data-compression.com/vq.html

DCT/IDCT
http://faculty.engineering.villanova.edu/yzhang01/ECE8231/final/dct.ppt
http://vision.arc.nasa.gov/publications/mathjournal94.pdf

thanks for every thing yann...

not the place to post but...you should try working out a deal with the gameinstitute for teaching and stuff..u''ll be earning money right from where youre at and get paid for what you so generously do here...HELP .
dont forget us though hehe.
b

Guest Anonymous Poster
500 error seems to have eaten my post so here we go again
http://polygone.flipcode.com/tut_lightmap.htm
a reasonable lightmapping tutorial, a bit old maybe but might still be useful for some people.

The problem is, that most people don''t even know that there is a forum FAQ. The link being really small doesn''t exactly help either.

Thanks for the link suggestions, I''ll definitely check them out. Oh, I just thought about that, while replying to another thread, I should probably add some resources about Sutherland-Hodgman-Cohen-etc clipping.

Guest Anonymous Poster
You did such a nice job, that even a lurker will thank you.

Who knows what noobie lurks in the hearts of forum members?
The Anonymous Poster knows!

Guest Anonymous Poster
I remarked in the "Ship waves" thread that the link to the Loviscach article in the FAQ appears to be dead. I do not have an updated link. Loviscach has a new paper, "Complex water effects at interactive frame rates" (2003) at http://www.l7h.cn/publications/publications.html (direct link is http://wscg.zcu.cz/wscg2003/Papers_2003/B02.pdf ). Worth adding to the FAQ, imho.

Ah yes, thanks for pointing this out. Dead links are always a problem, I would really like to mirror all papers listed in the FAQ, but that would unfortunately be copyright infringement (unless I get permission by every single author... ugh...)

Anyway, I have added his new paper, I just flew over it, it actually looks quite nice. I still kept the link to his convolution paper (marked it as offline), I''ll try to hunt down a copy. I''d like to keep a working link onto it, because from a mathematical point of view, it was pretty interesting.

You're welcome.

BTW, about this Loviscach paper: I was just working through the large backlog of unread mail that accumulated during my vacation, and came accross a mail by Loviscach who sent me a link to his new paper for FAQ inclusion. I took the opportunity to ask him about his convolution paper. Should there be an online version available, I'll update the link. If not, I'll remove it.

Update: Apparently, the convolution paper was never officially published online, and the site it used to be available on was illegally distributing it. So I removed the link from the FAQ. Loviscach specifically confirmed me that his new paper is official and can be linked to, so it should probably stay online a little longer than the first. It's pretty good, btw, go and read it

[edited by - Yann L on August 29, 2003 8:16:14 AM]