FAQ updated: resource section added

Started by
23 comments, last by Yann L 20 years, 7 months ago
Hey all, I finally managed to update the forum FAQ, and added a graphics programming resource section. It's just a first draft, I'm going to add new stuff over time, as new interesting papers and articles are published. A few topics are not yet included (raytracing, photon mapping, etc). I have some good links about those topics in my bookmarks, and I'll try to add them in a couple of days. Please let me know what you think about the new section, and if you encounter any HTML problems or dead links. Also, if you would like to contribute good links, good GDNet threads, or other suggestions, just post them here, and I might add them to the FAQ (if they fit in). Enjoy ! Oh, BTW, I would recommend to download these two new papers, they are very interesting: * "Interactive Rendering of Atmospheric Scattering Effects Using Graphics Hardware" by Dobashi, Nishita (in the Sky/Atmosphere section) * "Simple Navier Stokes solver" in the water/smoke section. / Yann [edited by - Yann L on March 5, 2003 9:15:36 PM]
Advertisement
Looks pretty nice! I had to laugh, though, because it looks like you went out of your way to put as many HTML constructs on there as possible. This''ll make the FAQ worth reading for once (unlike a few other forum FAQs, you know who you are).
______________________________________________________________________________________The Phoenix shall arise from the ashes... ThunderHawk -- ¦þ"So. Any n00bs need some pointers? I have a std::vector<n00b*> right here..." - ZahlmanMySite | Forum FAQ | File Formats______________________________________________________________________________________
Excellent job, I appreciate your effort very much Yann L. I envision this new resource section very very usefull in the near future.

-------------------
Realm Games Company
-------------------Realm Games Company
Good work Yann!
But I expected to see some (of your) nice threads listed. Does anyone have a list of good threads?
great (and sweet html, yep:D)
can''t wait for raytracing links:D lets see if you find some i don''t have yet:D

and yet, those two papers are great (i know them yet.. have you ran the ati demo showing the implementation of the scattering? looks soo sweet..:D)

"take a look around" - limp bizkit
www.google.com
If that's not the help you're after then you're going to have to explain the problem better than what you have. - joanusdmentia

My Page davepermen.net | My Music on Bandcamp and on Soundcloud

Hmmmm, how many lives do I need to actually understand all this stuff to actually make something that shall look appropriately ?
Other than that, my printer is full of smoke now... (and my brain will be too, but later this evening when I get home to start the studying - yummy !)

Yann - Excellent work here ! But please lock this thread up - I found it just by chance. Others might miss it which would be pitty.

[edited by - VladR on March 7, 2003 8:28:58 AM]

VladR My 3rd person action RPG on GreenLight: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=92951596

quote:
But please lock this thread up - I found it just by chance. Others might miss it which would be pitty.

I can't. If I close it, then it will drop through rather quickly, due to noone being able to post something. And the current forum software doesn't allow sticky threads for a single forum alone (the thread would appear on all forums at the same time, and I don't have to required permission level to create one anyway (only staff has)).

davepermen: hmm, I just noticed that lots of my raytracing links are a little outdated (dead links, etc). I haven't done much raytracing lately (but I have loads of radiosity, photon mapping and Metropolis light-transport papers, if anyone is interested ). Do you happen to have some really good raytracing links ? Rhethorical question, seing the raytracing fan you are, you surely have A couple beginner level, couple intermediate, and a couple of advanced ones ?

quote:Original post by VladR
Hmmmm, how many lives do I need to actually understand all this stuff to actually make something that shall look appropriately ?

Heh, I figured I should add some more basic stuff that is more suited for beginners. But I don't really have many good non-advanced links. That's why the FAQ is going to be dynamic: if you have some nice links you would find appropriate for the FAQ, just post them here and I'll add them to the list (does anyone know about a good lightmapping tutorial ?)

[edited by - Yann L on March 7, 2003 12:45:06 PM]
quote:Original post by Yann L
* "Simple Navier Stokes solver" in the water/smoke section.

It surprises me how Stam is able to keep on writing papers on basically the same thing, but this paper had some interesting editorializing that partially redeemed it.

[Edit: Is anyone else finding it difficult to post on gamedev? I have no problems loading pages, but can''t seem to post. One more try.. HTTP500 internal server error]
quote:Original post by greeneggs
It surprises me how Stam is able to keep on writing papers on basically the same thing, but this paper had some interesting editorializing that partially redeemed it.

Well, the NS equations are the NS equations, there''s not really much more to say about them than has already been done. But this paper is more interesting for beginners, IMO, considering that it contains an easy to understand step-by-step guide, and lots of source. Many beginners avoid NSE solvers, because of the math presented other academic papers. In fact, it''s not very hard to implement, and a somewhat more beginner targeted paper is not a bad thing.
I checked out the LOD links but they just point to papers. Are there any tutorials out there for how to implement these algorithms? Thanks.
Thanks!

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement