• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Efficient Texture Allocation (NeHe 06)

This topic is 5464 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi, and thank you for reading my post. I have gotten NeHe''s lesson 6 up and running thanks to the forum community''s help and guidance. Thank you all. If you recall, NeHe''s lesson 06 involves a spinning cube. I have modified his pictures so I can display a spinning 6 sided die in space. I have 6 textures I need to allocate into an array. So far, I''ve been doing it exactly as he has written: *********************************************** if (TextureImage[0]=LoadBMP("Data/Dice1.bmp")) { Status=TRUE; // Set The Status To TRUE glGenTextures(1, &texture[0]); // Create The Texture // Typical Texture Generation Using Data From The Bitmap glBindTexture(GL_TEXTURE_2D, texture[0]); glTexImage2D(GL_TEXTURE_2D, 0, 3, TextureImage[0]->sizeX, TextureImage[0]->sizeY, 0, GL_RGB, GL_UNSIGNED_BYTE, TextureImage[0]->data); glTexParameteri(GL_TEXTURE_2D,GL_TEXTURE_MIN_FILTER,GL_LINEAR); glTexParameteri(GL_TEXTURE_2D,GL_TEXTURE_MAG_FILTER,GL_LINEAR); } if (TextureImage[0]) // If Texture Exists { if (TextureImage[0]->data) // If Texture Image Exists { free(TextureImage[0]->data); // Free The Texture Image Memory } free(TextureImage[0]); // Free The Image Structure } *********************************************** For each additional texture (5 more to go) I copy and paste the previous lines, and simply increment the index of TextureImage. The 2nd texture would go into index [1], the 3rd into [2], etc etc. until I have 6 textures loaded into the array. Perhaps my method is a bit ungainly. I was wondering if any of you out there know of a more efficient way to allocate multiple textures rather than the cut-copy-paste method. any info would be greatly appreciated, and as usual, awarded with cigerettes/candy. Thanks for reading! ~stu

Advertisement
Di it this way, that should do the trick:

for(int i = 0; i < numberOfTextures; i++){
if (TextureImage[0]=LoadBMP(textureNames[i].c_str())){
Status=TRUE; // Set The Status To TRUE

glGenTextures(1, &texture[i]); // Create The Texture

// Typical Texture Generation Using Data From The Bitmap

glBindTexture(GL_TEXTURE_2D, texture[i]);
glTexImage2D(GL_TEXTURE_2D, 0, 3, TextureImage[0]->sizeX, TextureImage[0]->sizeY, 0, GL_RGB, GL_UNSIGNED_BYTE, TextureImage[0]->data);
glTexParameteri(GL_TEXTURE_2D,GL_TEXTURE_MIN_FILTER,GL_LINEAR);
glTexParameteri(GL_TEXTURE_2D,GL_TEXTURE_MAG_FILTER,GL_LINEAR);
}
if (TextureImage[0]) // If Texture Exists

{
if (TextureImage[0]->data) // If Texture Image Exists

{
free(TextureImage[0]->data); // Free The Texture Image Memory

}
}

free(TextureImage[0]); // Free The Image Structure

}

//to use a textures afterward, bind it using

glBindTexture(GL_TEXTURE_2D, texture[i]);

So you need to have an index over texture, not TextureImage.

textureNames[] is defined as
std::string textureNames[numberOfTextures];
the textureNames.c_str() just converts a std::string back to a char * (which is used by NeHe's LoadBMP function of I'm not mistaken.

[edited by - rizman on March 6, 2003 4:55:47 AM]

• Advertisement