Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Digipen's Project Fun

This topic is 5395 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Has anybody used this before or anything? I was looking at it and it looks looks pretty cool. I have some expirence with c++ I''m like on the 6th chapter of my c++ book. Anyways has anyone ever done this and would you recommend it? ----------------------------- Programming is confussing! AIM: Trebor DoD

Good to see that people outside DigiPen use this ^_^ I'm attending the DigiPen skills center program. All of the students will use Fun for all their games, with excersizes done in vc++. I'm a 2nd year student, and our team is working on a Battlebot type game.
Fun is a useful program to learn game concepts and c++. You can make a 'game' without coding at all, but to make a good GAME you need to code within Fun and externally. You will never learn the internal workings of windows or directX with Fun. Fun generates almost everything for you, all you have to worry about is the game and its structures and its behaviour.
The first year at the DigiPen college uses Fun now, but I belive (and hope) that the later years get into the good stuff. I personally do not believe in using just Fun to teach game programming (which is what the skill centers are doing right now). In the real world, Fun is not used, so you need to learn the other skills associated with game programming.
If you want to make a good game fast, use Fun. It is easy to do menus, collision, arcade shooters, platform games, sound, and everything else. I would recommend you sign up for the Fun program. For $30 a year and subscription to Nintendo Power, it is really worth it. You'll be making games and showing them off to people in no time (which is why the skill centers cling to using Fun, good publicity).
Be warned that Fun will cause you all sorts of problems and headaches and shortcomings will surface everywhere. It is still in developement, and we haven't had an update for quite a while, so i'm expecting big improvements. The Fun club online has a massive amount of Fun resources and game classes, which I have seen but not experienced.

Sorry for making you read so much, but go for it! I hear you can even sell the games you make with Fun, unlike our projects at school I look forward to attending DigiPen and learning completely the guts of game programming, as I am growing slightly weary of Fun. Don't let me discourage you, it is definately worth it! Good luck and happy coding!

PS- URL for other people having interest: www.digipen.edu

[edited by - n0ob on March 6, 2003 6:47:19 PM]

Hey I''ve got a question for you. I want to go to digipen since I''m 13 and now I''m 14 and thing still didn''t changed. I wanted to know is it true there not severe on note except for math, cause I''m at a french school in quebec and I''m good in every thing (expecialy in math) except for french. Compared to you guys I''m very good in french (well I think so, if your like the english people that I now). And secoudly do they take people that are from canada or where born In Canana.

Kevin

Guest Anonymous Poster
Last time I heard Digipen was still not a fully accredited school here in the US. Meaning that although they are perhaps accredited by the state the government has not allowed them to be accredited. This means that they can not offer much to international students along the lines of loans, grants, funding, or student visa''s. So unless this has changed I would not hold your breath.

cpp boy- if you go to Digipen''s homepage (digipen.edu). It says in big bold letters

* DigiPen Institute of Technology is authorized under Federal law to enroll nonimmigrant alien students (International Students).

hope that answered your question.

-----------------------------
Programming is confussing!
AIM: Trebor DoD