Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ErraticSE

The C programming language

ErraticSE    122
Hi. I''m yet another computer science major trying to break into the industry. I''ve been looking at the sights for various game development companies and see that alot of them require C. I''ve got alot of C++ experiance but virtualy no C experiance. Do I need to learn C to break into the industry (aka get an internship or job)? If so how? I don''t think they even have classes in C anymore. Everything has gone C++.

GravtyKlz    122
Im probly not the best person to answer your questions as I know C pretty well and dont know C++ very well, but ill tell you what I can. A lot of code contains both C and C++. Some code uses C mostly and uses C++ to create and use objects. So sometimes its good to know C fairly well so that you know how to use it in cases like that. If you know C++ you shouldnt have much trouble just reading a book on C. I dont see how a class is necessary. I also find it hard to believe that game companies require C programing experience. Most colleges dont even teach C anymore. Im sure someone will say on here whether or not its even necessary. It may be a good idea to learn some C though since some people program games in a lot of C. It would help you read example code if nothing else.

kdogg    204
My experience is that game companies generally use C. Most C++ code can be simply and readably rewritten as C code. C++ has a lot of pitfalls that can kill performance, and performance is crucial to making quality games. You probably know more C than you think, if you''ve been through a lot of college. Just make sure you''re very comfortable with pointers, memory management, etc. To change a C++ class into C, just make a struct with all the private variables, and make the member functions into regular functions. Don''t use streams or the STL stuff. That''s pretty much it. You really should be proficient in C before trying to crack into the industry. It''s very competitive.