Pathfinding in seamless worlds

Started by
2 comments, last by MButchers 21 years, 1 month ago
Hi All, im currently working on a seamless world game engine ( simular to the dungeon siege engine ), the actual world rendering code and streaming is nearly finished and am now looking at the path finding implimentation - currently im planning on the following method stream in world segment build navigation mesh for the segment based on worlds geometry (each world tile has a mesh of nm cells associated with it) for path finding - use nm for player characters and npc''s within the currently loaded world segment npc''s not in current world segment will be moved along predeclared timelines / paths Are there any other posible solutions to pathfinding in seamless and potentially infinate worlds or should i stick to the above plan. Many thanks for any thoughts. Mark
Advertisement
Is your world static each time the player enters a ''level''? If so, you should probably precalculate the navmesh and store that in a binary format for quick loading. Otherwise you will have to calculate the navmesh each time the player enters that area and this could become a significant delay before the player can begin moving around.

botman
Hi

all world tiles are pre cached, when the world segments root cell is changed the old cells id''s are stored and the new world segment is generated.

any nm cells associated with ws cells not in the new world segment will be released and any new ws cells will be added to the nm.

this will result in efficient caching of the nm

ie

brute force on a 10x10x10 world segment = max 1000 new nm meshes added to world segments nm

above method

(10x10)+(10*10)+(10x10) = max 300 new nm meshes added to a world segments nm cell

Cheers for the input

Mark.
Hi!

Take a look at my pathfinder: download it (DirectX 9.0 required)
I am using a grid and A* algorithm.

Drakon

[edited by - dracoon on March 8, 2003 4:07:02 PM]

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement