Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

slippers2k

Teaching myself C++: learning curve questions

I am teaching myself C++... I have a basic grasp of the essentials (variables, arrays, functions, pointers, program control, even structures), and am looking to get up to speed quickly with programming knowledge. I typically have one free day in the week when I have 2-4 hours available to me to program. Most other times, I usually have an hour or so. Assuming these numbers are correct, what kind of headway should I expect to make in reading a C++ programming book that teaches me the language, concept by concept? (Pointers, classes, etc.) Is the level of progression really only controlled by me, or are there certain things I should look for when studying (time restrictions, for example, or taking in too much information between coding sessions)? Being out of college and working a full-time job, and trying to share as much time with my wife as possible, I''m looking to optimize my learning curve. It''s safe for me to assume I should probably be spending as much time as possible coding. Feedback? Thanks for your time. -slippers2k Attack life''s problems like a Subaru... with all four wheels

Practice makes perfect. You can read all the books you want to, but until you do it for yourself a few times you want really grasp it. Well at least for me that was the case.

I didn''t know much about C++ until about 6 months ago. And now I''m written DirectX applications in C++. Basically you control your learning so you should be fine. Just work hard and you will know C++. You will thank yourself for it later.

man it sounds like you have your hands full. keep reading, get a good book like sam''s teach yourself c++ in 21 days, and keep coding. the biggest jump in my programming skills happened when i took a part time job coding for a company, i got a similar skill boost when i tried to write an object oriented 2D game. try to start a big project, the dead ends and logic problems will be the greatest force to get you to use your knowledge, but above all, you must love coding.