Sharing between to linuxes

Started by
4 comments, last by -vic- 21 years, 1 month ago
Hi all, I''m trying to share some files between 2 linux machines (a redhat 7.3, and a redhat 8.0), but i really need some help.I don''t even know where to start... does somebody know of any link where i can get some information about this? Everywhere i look i can only find people talking about samba this, and samba that... Thanks, Victor.
c[_]~~
Advertisement
We always shared files via FTP...
There are many programs that can map a FTP connection as a directory (like, for example, MC).

Height Map Editor | Eternal Lands | Fast User Directory
It's no problem to use Samba between two linux boxes. Just start Samba on the one with your files, then use smbmount on the other box to mount a directory.

If you want to do it the Unix way, look into NFS. Try the Linux NFS FAQ for more info on that - http://nfs.sourceforge.net/

Tony

[edited by - AnthonyLewis on March 6, 2003 7:31:17 PM]
FTP is cool, but on the command line, you can''t easily say, "Send everything in this directory to the other machine" since subdirectories aren''t files.

That is why I use rsync.

I have an alias:

alias rsink=''rsync -e ssh -azvP''
This is nice because it allows you to tunnel through SSH to transfer files and directories. It will also not send files if they are not more up to date on the source machine.

How I use it:

rsink source_directory destination directory

Let''s say I want to send a folder from my local host to another machine.

rsink /path/to/folder address_of_other_comp:/path/to/this/folder

Now, that will actually send "folder" as a directory.

rsink /path/to/folder/ address_of_other_comp:/path/to/this/folder/

This will just use the contents of the folder. Similar to saying "cp /path/to/folder/* /blah/" as opposed to "cp -R /path/to/folder blah"

You can also use the other computer as the source. Simply use the address followed by a ":" Then the path, as shown above.
-------------------------GBGames' Blog: An Indie Game Developer's Somewhat Interesting ThoughtsStaff Reviewer for Game Tunnel
*quickly types man rsync on his Slackware 8.0 distribution*

I''ve been looking for an alternative to ftp ... and I think I just found it!

Thanks GBGames
quote:Original post by -vic-
Hi all,

I''m trying to share some files between 2 linux machines (a redhat 7.3, and a redhat 8.0), but i really need some help.I don''t even know where to start... does somebody know of any link where i can get some information about this? Everywhere i look i can only find people talking about samba this, and samba that...

Thanks,
Victor.

Do a search in google for NFS howto or Samba howto although, for sharing files between 2 linux systems, NFS would be the more appropriate way. Make sure though, that your computers aren''t accessible from the internet before setting up NFS. It still has some security issues.

[Cyberdrek | the last true sorcerer | Spirit Mage - mutedfaith.com][ Administrator TheLinuxForum.tk]
[Cyberdrek | ]

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement