Your recommendations....?

Started by
1 comment, last by Darknite 21 years, 1 month ago
I''ve been wondering what,(in your opinion)is the best laguage to learn? C or C++. (having no experience with c or c++ basic etc). Ive also been wondering (for those of u who have read through them) whats the difference between th c/c++ primer books (1st edition, 2nd edition, 3rd edition, fourth adition etc). Thank you
Advertisement
Well, this is totaly IMHO. I prefare C++ before C. I find that it''s easier for me to read and understand C++ code, and to write understandable code, OO design suits my way of thinking better. So I''d recomend C++.

While I haven''t read the diffrent editions I''d guess the diffrences is maily in the code. Bugs has probably been fixed, if any changes in the C/C++ standard was made betwen the editions the code has probably been updated to reflect that. And the layout might be slightely diffrent. But in all it should be pretty much the same book.

--
Spearhawk productions
Project Andromeda
I personally learned C before C++. If you just want to get going with programming, that''s probably the way to go. Optimal object-oriented design can take some time to learn, but if you pick it up quickly then go right to C++.

Either way, it really depends on your coding style, which it would seem is as yet undefined. If you learn C, you can apply most of that knowledge to C++ since the languages are so similar (C++ is actually a superset of C).

Alright, enough rambling - my final word... C first. If you''ve never programmed before you need to get used to writing code before you start thinking about object-oriented design. And truthfully, if you were to pick up a C++ book and read it from the beginning, the first 5-10 chapters would be C stuff anyway.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement