DirectX and Dev C++

Started by
7 comments, last by Klown9 21 years ago
I have some questions regarding DirectX and Dev C++ development: - Is there any difference in performance between a DirectX application built with MS Visual C++ (6 or .NET) and the same app built with Dev C++? - In MSVC++ you include "d3dx8.lib" when you want to use the D3DX library, but in then Dev C++ ports of the DirectX headers there''s only "d3dx8d.a" which is a different lib in the original DirectX SDK. Does that "d" at the end mean "Debug"? Does that mean that code using D3DX in Dev C++ will be slower than in MSVC++? Is there any way "d3dx8.lib" can be ported to be used with Dev C++? - Maybe this is not the right forum, but I''ll ask anyway: Being Dev C++ under the GPL license, does it mean that an application built using it must adhere to the same license? Or more directly: if I make an app using Dev C++, will I be able to sell it and not give away my source code? Thanks for any help you can give me.
Advertisement
Anyone?
I insist once more. Is there anybody with experience in Dev C++ who can answer?
Perhaps try the Bloodshed Forum, actually for Dev C++. I have had little success with Dev C++ specifics here before. Im guessing most people are using MS VC++
I''ll answer some:

1) Depends very much on the edition of VC++ used. SE or LE will give reduced performance over gcc (gcc is the compiler used with Dev-C++) due to the lack of optimizing compiler. Pro and above it will depend on the actual code so I won''t make any sweeping generalizations.

2) There are full ports of the dx8 and 9 SDKs to Dev-c++, I don''t have the link but google should find it.

3) Not at all, apps made with Dev-C++ can be released under any license you want.
I stand corrected, thanks for the help from me too. This is useful info.
Correctly. A lot of people seem to be confused by the GPL/LGPL license. With GPL, if your program *links*(or contains) with a part of the GPL''ed program(source), the your program must also be release under GPL. For LGPL, this is only true if you''ve changed the LGPL''ed code. For example, if you have a LGPL''ed library, you don''t have to worry LGPL unless you''ve changed the source of the library. As for DX, download the latest beta of Dev-C++, and then run package manager. From there, you can download the DirectX9 headers/libs(I think it also includes the DX8).

-Ivan

I''''ve heard about the wheel, but I don''''t know what it is, so I''''m trying to invent it.
-Ivan
-----------------------------------------------------It's better to rule in hell than to serve in heaven.------------------------------------------------------Ivan
quote:Original post by Night Elf
- Is there any difference in performance between a DirectX application built with MS Visual C++ (6 or .NET) and the same app built with Dev C++?

I didn''t notice any notorious performance difference using DX5.
[size="2"]I like the Walrus best.
Night Elf,
I just ran my program and commented out all of the rendering functions, so just a black screen with a FPS counter appears, and I get around 25 - 30 FPS quicker with MSVC++ than DevC++. But when everything in the game is being rendered there isn't really any difference.

Also I am having trouble rendering a D3DX sprite, it is ignoring my colorkey (for transparancy, this is set when loading the texture using D3DXCreateTextureFromFileEx) and displays the black background of my bitmap, but in MSVC++ it works ok. Anyone know what could be the problem here?

Thanks,

H

[edited by - klown9 on April 5, 2003 12:13:37 AM]

[edited by - klown9 on April 6, 2003 6:50:04 AM]

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement