Lisp is King

Started by
325 comments, last by bishop_pass 20 years, 6 months ago
quote:Original post by RedSweater
BP: Was the interpretor in C?/!??!>!!>!>

Well, yeah. Back in ''92, it wasn''t easy to get your hands on a Lisp implementation, thus my desire to code my own.

Advertisement
quote:Original post by bishop_pass
Cool! I wrote a ''lite'' Lisp interpreter years ago.

I started it as "lite" but it quickly evolved into my main scripting language for my server. I added a lot of data typed over the standard ones, such as sockets socketgroups, threads, mutexes, XML containers, file/directory/filesystem types and a virtual file system ^_^

XML stuff was named PML (for pouya), File system names PFS, so the Lisp dialect is called PLP
I''ll release the source code to it when I add graphics.
Sounds interesting. Does it maintain the Lisp paradigm and featureset?
Of course

(defun fact (a)    (cond        ((<= a 1)            1        )        (true            (*                a                (fact (-- a))            )        )    ))  

I added two constants true and false for replacing #t and ''()
hmm...I guess I just effectively necroed this thread.
so, I wanna start to learn LISP...
I know a bit of C++ (only console...never got to classes), and I know a moderate amount of Java (i can use classes effectively and define my own (although the classes I make are not very efficient, and derive code from many other classes))
I haven''t gotten to interfaces yet (I''m in AP Computer Science, and the language they use is Java), but I will in a few weeks. I just started the course in September, I''m taking it through Distance Learning at my HS.
Is Lisp considered an Object-Oriented language? I don''t feel like sifting through 15 pages of this thread for only a possibility for an answer.

I have an E-Book called "Common Lisp: A Gentle Introduction to Symbolic Computation" Anyone read it? Is it any good?

What types of things would Lisp be used for? What''s the most common use of it in games? I think I''ve read that it is good for AI.
Where could I find some good FREE compilers/assemblers/whatever for lisp, because the Corman one requires a registration after a month.
hmm...I asked a lot of questions. thanks to anyone who answers them.
If nothing else, Lisp is both fun and educational. Try it out for a little while without any great expectations and you jsut might find yourself surprised. Also, take the time to read this thread, even if only bit by bit, it''ll be worth it.

Look around for some of Bishop''s threads to see what you might use it for (game or otherwise). You''ll find any approach but a Lisp one seems kludgy given his explanations.

You can use Corman long after reg is due. (I am). Other than that try Xanalysis'' LispWorks (I used it but switched to Corman).

Another free book: here

[Paralogist] [Lisp is King]
Part of the Lisp revolution since 03.30.03
Member of the Ban the Idiot Directxmen Society (BIDS)
quote:Original post by fadilthrejk
I have an E-Book called "Common Lisp: A Gentle Introduction to Symbolic Computation" Anyone read it? Is it any good?
It''s a great book. I have the actual book, though.

Read the thread. Most of what you''re asking is discussed in this thread.
quote:
What types of things would Lisp be used for?
Large scale complex problems that need a solution, not a C++ fanatic who wants to reinvent Lisp so he can claim he did it in C++.
quote: What''s the most common use of it in games?
It''s not common in games, largely due to the fanaticism that equates a 3d graphical simulation to a game.
quote: I think I''ve read that it is good for AI.
Yes, it''s good for that, and it provides for high level elegant data.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement