Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Soccerman4

C++ Game Programming Books!NEED HELP

I was wondering if there are any good books on programming games in C++. I have no programming expierence and i have bought Sams Teach Yourself C++ in 24 hours 3rd edition and can''t see how you would fit C++ in with programming games....Anyway i''m major newb so don''t crack on me.....Anybody know of anybooks on Game Programming in C++? Thanks cya

One way or another, you''re going to have to learn C++ before you make any great games. What you have to understand is that games are the same kind of C++ code that you''ll be learning; all that''s different are the API calls that draw graphics, play sounds, etc. You still have to be able to problem-solve and program, and you should spend most of your start-up time not focusing on games, but on the language.

Later,
ZE.

//email me.//zealouselixir software.//msdn.//n00biez.//
miscellaneous links

I know (almost) how you feel. Want to do games right away, right?

1)
Well, look at nehe.gamedev.net even if you know little of programming you might understand enough to move around some objects which should make you yell COOL!
Be carefull with the first tutorial as it is pretty hard in the beginning but look at the ones with triangles etc.

In the very beginning you must read up on things like, arrays, for loops, while etc. You must know this to do anything.

2)
Then I would recommend to look at winprog.org and learn the basics for windows programming. Everything will be much easier then, when you understand how to open windows, check for keyboard, mouse etc.

3)
Now you will have to do homework. Read up on object oriented programming with C++ and all the quirks of Windows programming and OpenGL.

Hope this helps, I think it''s one the more fun ways to learn game programming (and c++ and windows programming). You begin with the fun parts and gradually learn the less fun but important parts.
Good luck.

/Andreas

Get tricks of the windows game programming gures(2nd Edition).
Don''t let the name fool you. The reason it says windows
is b/c it teachs you hoiw to make a window with you game in it. That covers 3 chapters but the rest out of 16 teach you how to program games. 2D, 3D, Direct X, GDI, etc.
And plus comes with a cd rom with two other bonus books
plus more! And he''s really descriptive. search it for amazon.com

Thanks Demon.....I''ll check it out. I still have doubts though cause on the back of it,it says it is for intermidiate programmers and considering that i have no programming experience AT ALL. I have worries

I have been programming for a while, and if you want to know what helped me most with programming games, was knowing math really well and practicing it. Its amazing how much faster you will come up with a solution to a problem if you have math fresh in your brain. Also get Tricks of the Windows Game Programming Gurus as the person who posted above me suggested. ITs a good book to get started, but before you get that get some C++ books. My favorite is the complete refference to C++, but before you get that I would get a book like Sams teach yourself C++ in 21 days. The main reason I like the complete refference books is because it has a C primer in the beginning which I think helps.

I have Sams Teach Yourself C++ in 24 hours(3rd edition). I''m thinking about reading that and learning C++ while i read tricks of window''s Game Programming Gurus. Should i? Is the Source code in "tricks" in C++ or C?

Its in C, but somtimes states the C++ equivelent. I had only read sams teach yourself C++ in 21 days which has no C in it and I got along fine. But if i were you I would concentrate on C++ for a while, I dnt think doing them at the same time is a good idea, but thats just me.

I don''t want to learn C thats why i asked if source code was in C. Does it always state the equivalent of the C code for C++? Is this book focused more on C or C++ because i want a book that is in C++. Thanks for the info

Hey, well when I looked at "Tricks of the windows game programmming gures, I saw that too. I bought it anyway and it''s not very hard(I''m a newbie too). The only hard part I''ve run into is Direct X now(But that''s chapter 6). So I''m sure that''s the way to go.
Demon Realms!!!!!!!!!!

Not particularly funny. It covers the components of real live games, and shows how to make a 2D space shooter. The new edition also includes a chapter (in the first edition it was only in PDF format on the CD) on text adventures. Over all, it''s a super book if you are conversant with C beforehand and you''re willing to stick with it.

//email me.//zealouselixir software.//msdn.//n00biez.//
miscellaneous links

...Game Programming Gurus is a pretty decent book. Acts as a good stepping stone if you want to get started in game development, however, I''d recommend you learn C and C++ first, without any relevance to games, then try making a few simple games on your own. Starting with games just makes the whole world of programming seem much more overwhelming at first.

"The power is not in knowing what to do, but how to do it." -ME