Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

paladinjake

Got a BIG dev question!! please help

paladinjake    122
Ok here we go, several questions at once may be wrong forum but here i go if anyoue out there could have the BEST suit of game developement software and books what would they be. best language compiler i.e. visual studio(c++) best rendering software i.e. maya, 3ds max, best texture program i.e. photoshop, deep paint.best game design books. and the best of any other software i may have forgot please let me know becouse my college grant pays for this stuff. you could also send email to paladinjake@hotmail.com thanks in advance "Half of everything you do is 90% mental"

stimarco    1071
quote:
Original post by paladinjake
Ok here we go, several questions at once may be wrong forum but here i go if anyoue out there could have the BEST suit of game developement software and books what would they be.

What you ask simply isn''t possible without more info. What kind of games do you want to develop? Visual Studio is great for PC games, but it sucks for, say, Java MIDP games intended for mobile phones.

Similarly for modeling packages: you use whichever you find yourself most comfortable with. Some people love 3D Studio MAX. Others are fanatical about Maya. But you''ll even find people who swear by -- rather than at -- POVRay or Blender (which must rank as the perfect illustration of how not to design a UI).

Books? Again, this is hard to say. Do you want to make RTS games? Console games? Mobile games? Small puzzlers or MMORPGs?

The "games" industry is vast, with titles ranging from tiny 50Kb Symbian games, right up to vast codesplats that would fill an entire 1993-vintage hard disk before they even finish installing.

It''s like television: there''s a big difference between deciding to make "TV programmes" and "Historical Documentaries". The latter is a far better starting point. Find what you want to do first. Then you''ll know where to start.

--
Sean Timarco Baggaley

Tyson    122
Hmm, where do I find such a grant

I could use some more gear and research material. Not to mention peoples...hehe