Questions about the redbook and OpenGL versions

Started by
1 comment, last by arsenius 21 years, 1 month ago
I have a copy of the OpenGL Programmers Guide for version 1.1. I want to start programming opengl, and I''m wondering if I should use this book, or look for something that is more up to date. Are there significant differences between the versions in terms of basic functionality? i.e. if I work my way through the book, am I going to want to relearn alot of things when I am done, because they are deprecated and so forth. I''m just starting out with 3D programming, so I''m not worried about really advanced differences. Hopefully i''m making my point clear, sorry if i''m not Also, is there pretty much just one version of the redbook floating around the web? I found one copy, but I don''t know if it is more or less recent than my hardcopy. They are definately not the same version. thanks guys -arsenius ''after three days without programming, life becomes meaningless'' -The Tao of Programming
Advertisement
There were quite a few significant additions between versions 1.1 and 1.2. If I were you, I''d either buy the latest version, or download the PDF version off the net. The PDF version is of course free, but it''s not nearly as easy to work with as a book, IMO anyway.

So far i''ve only been able to find editions for 1.0 (i think) and 1.1 on the net. Version 1.1 is hosted on this site in pdf format. Is edition 3 available anywhere (for ogl 1.2)?

-arsenius
''after three days without programming, life becomes meaningless'' -The Tao of Programming

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement