Z MATRIX

Started by
61 comments, last by Qa303asmGuru 20 years, 6 months ago
Hello fellow gamedevers!!!! *** Update 7/16/04 *** After fixing a huge amount of bugs and adding a few new features, the next version is ready for some testing and opinions. I'll continue to use the link in this post for downloading updates. ==================================================================================== You can grab the zip file here. ----------------------------------------------------------------- Old news: I've been working on this project for about 3 months now and I'm looking for some feedback on the progress I've made. A few details about the game: - As of right now it's all polygons, sorry no pretty graphics yet ;) - All graphics are rendered with OpenGL, Input and Sound with DirectX (8.1 or higher) Controls and other info are contained in the readme.txt. I plan on spending a good amount of time developing this game into a full blown shooter (shoot 'em up type game). Right now it's in the early early stages. I just wanted to get some feedback on my progress so far. I will admit here and again in the readme.txt that this is my first attempt at a PC game. Any questions or comments? Post 'em here! Have fun. :) -Q <SPAN CLASS=editedby>[edited by - qa303asmguru on April 30, 2003 9:16:42 PM]</SPAN> <SPAN CLASS=editedby>[edited by - qa303asmguru on October 9, 2003 12:34:43 PM]</SPAN> [Edited by - Qa303asmGuru on July 16, 2004 3:33:39 PM]
Advertisement
Dont get it everyone! Its a VIRUS!!

Haha just kidding, I played it. When you said 2d shooter, i thought you meant like a 2d FPS like duke nukem3d or doom or something. Instead it was a game like galalga or something. It ran really fast on my computer. I dont know if that was intentional or not, but it was hard as hell! I die after about .5 seconds. The sound worked and i like your mouse clickey interface. pretty cool.

Its pretty dissapointing, I love programming and Im about to graduate with a CS degree, and I dont think i could make a game as simple as this one. (no offence though, i think it has potential)

It''s cool.. a little hard

how do you exit the application?
------------------------------------------VOTE Patrick O'GradyWrite in Presidential CandidateThe Candidate who Cares.
Runs nice and smooth...some suggestions though: the particle system is nice but the explosions from killed enemies might stay on the screen for a bit too long--maybe you could have them scroll down with the stars to keep the illusion of an upward velocity. It would elimate some of the "clutter." Good job with the enemy patterns, you seem to have a good start with keeping a variety of movements.
Ack, even with my vertical sync on it runs way too fast... there''s also too much going on the screen at one time.. difficult to tell what''s going on..
Disclaimer: "I am in no way qualified to present advice on any topic concerning anything and can not be held responsible for any damages that my advice may incurr (due to neither my negligence nor yours)"
Holy crap it runs way to fast i cant even see the things shooting Other than that good )
Wow great replies!!! Thanks!

About the speed issue--

Sorry about that. I've been testing it out on my work computer which is really damn slow so I turn off the frame limiter. I updated the zip file so the speed issue SHOULD be fixed. You can download it from my original post, or right here.

Let me know if that helps!

AP and falkone: Try the new file, that should help with the speed issue. Also, if v-sync is on, check what monitor refresh rate your at. I've played the game at 85 fps, which is what my monitor is set at (85hz). In future versions I'll add an option to increase/decrease game speed.

thehurricane: Thanks for the suggestion concerning the particle explosions. I never thought about it that way, but your right, it does kinda destroy the illusion of an upward velocity. I'll add some 'gravity' and speed up their fade and see what happens.

MrBeaner: Press ESCAPE. If that doesn't work let me know (one of my other friends was having problems exiting).

AndreTheGiant: Sorry to dissapoint you! I've heard them called shooters and shmups. I don't know why I called it shooter in the subject title. Try the new version and see if you can live a little bit longer.

All- Ideally, the game should run between 40-85 fps. I'm still playing around with v-sync/refresh rates/frame limiters to get the game at a playable speed for any system.

Again, thanks for the comments and questions!

-Q

[EDIT] Let me know of any highscores you get! My highest is 11400 [/EDIT]

[edited by - Qa303asmGuru on March 6, 2003 10:09:21 PM]

[edited by - qa303asmguru on April 29, 2003 2:15:12 AM]
it sounds like you arnt using time independent movement, and are developing on a slow computer.

to compensate for the slow cpu speed, you probably did something like bullet.y += 50. or something along the lines of that. this is due to teh fact that the slow computer you might be developing on runs through the game loop less times then a faster computer in one second (hence the faster computers processing bullet.y += 50 more times than you computer, going way fast).

use a time difference.

bullet.y is a float.

bullet.y += speed * timedelta. (time different between frames... calculated each frame).

this way, on faster computers... time delta is smaller... but runs more times... moving x amount of space.. when the time delta on slower computers is higher (Because its slower), but computes that change a less amount of times per second, also moving x distance. this allows your game to run at the same speed on each computer. (the choppyness will depend on the computer, getting better/worse framerates).

hope this will help you. as this is what i used in my 2d shooter.

----------------------
i code therefore i am.

Aero DX - Coming to a bored Monitor near you!
----------------------i code therefore i am.Aero DX - Coming to a bored Monitor near you!
escape did not work...even in the updated version...nor did i see a cursor to click the menu...do not know why...maybe i suck :D...i wouldnt worry about this tho....programs i make almost never run perfect on other people''s computers...but its good u arent lazy to fix them
anyways overall very fun game, speed is nice, cant wait for some graphics
I don''t care what anyone says. I like it being poly''s Great game. Easy to die though. Main reason is that the enemy bullets blend in with the star field. Maybe loose a level of the star field or dim them so they don''t distract... Otherwise, excellent!

Always remember, you''''re unique. Just like everyone else.

Greven
Always remember, you''re unique. Just like everyone else.Greven

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement