Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

RhoneRanger

Octree vs LOD

LOD is never REQUIRED but very recommended. It depends on how big your map is and how fast the hardware. All you''re doing is basic culling of sections of the map. This can reduce poly count greeatly, but if you look along the ground there''s still potentially a large fraction of the total faces in view (maybe 1/4 easily). If you have a 2000x2000 map that''s still 1 million polys.

Read about my game, project #1
NEW (18th December)2 new screenshots, one from the engine and one from the level editor

John 3:16

Guest Anonymous Poster
What''s a good method for LOD? Preferrably something that will get the job done but is still pretty simple to use.

There is a very good article on a system in Game Programming Gems 2. You have LOD tiles of different resolutions and also linking parts between low and high res tiles to stop holes appearing. Although this doesnt reduce the polygon out put as much as an algorithm such as ROAM, it doesnt need much CPU time and the way graphic technology is currently increasing I''d say you wouldnt loose much performance and it would be a hell of a lot easier to make.

Guest Anonymous Poster
So the book does a good job of teaching the method? Is there source with the algorithm?

The book does an okay job of presenting it. It shows the concept but doesn''tt show it step by step. There is source code for an application which is good. I''m not sure whether or not I would violate anything by sending the code.