UPDATE! Can you please test this Direct3D demo for me? (Which I made)

Started by
39 comments, last by Eleventy 20 years, 10 months ago
quote:Original post by haro
I liked it alot. It felt very smooth. If you''re bored, adding some physics for acceleration, semi-elastic collisions, a bit of gravity, etc.. would likely make it fun to just run around and play with the pyramid. Its all very basic formulas, and you could create some neat effects by giving your ''vehicle'' mass, etc.. Adding friction to the floor is also fun, even non-negligble air resistance during movement would be fun.

I doubt I''m the only one that gets their jollies coding physics simulations. Its always such a cool feeling to turn text into ''reality''. Any intro physics text has formulas and descriptions for everything I listed if you don''t remember from your HS physics class. Its all very easy to implement and adds alot of fun.

Ok, its 3:07am and I am ranting mindlessly.

EDIT: Hmm.. actually air resistance would likely not be covered in an intro physics book, but you could just use the basic kinematics formulas with a small and constantly opposing vector against your current direction to simulate it.

Thanks for the reply, haro. I plan to add all of the things that you''ve talked about to the objects (in fact, I''ve already done similar things to it so that it can support collision detection on a moving object, which I''m near done with right now). Surprisingly though, I''ve never taken any physics class - everything in that game is an "imitation" of physics - i don''t know the exact formulas to use. If you have any good physics links handy with you, please let me know. The ideas that you have are pretty cool - I would have never thought of air resistance. Thanks for the help and comments.

My Project Homepage (Infinity) | E-Mail Me | Message Me on AIM

Eleventy

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement