Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Igilima

Equivalent of Focus On 3D Terrain Programming but for DX?

Igilima    122
Anyone know of a book with as much info on terrain as Focus On 3D Terrain Programming but with an emphasis on DX? I am probably going to buy Focus On 3D Terrain Programming if I can''t find anything with a focus on DX. I am sure some of you will point out that most of the concepts apply in DX too but anyway...yeah. :o)

mittens    1323
As of right now, that book is the only terrain book on the market... Mwuahaha! I HAVE A MONOPOLY! Btw, OpenGL is very easy to understand, the function calls and syntax are very "common-sense." Also, I know Direct3D as well as OpenGL, so if you buy the book, and need code translated, just ask.

Trent Polack
trent.codershq.com
trent@codershq.com
Author of Focus on 3D Terrain Programming

GreatOne    122
Read some reviews on the book first, always read the best and worst, and take into consideration both. I''m using OpenGL and I have made a terrain engine using GeoMipMapping and my own very fast crack fixing method all by myself with just my brain and the paper on GeoMipMapping by William De Boer. These concepts can easily be applied to DirectX and GeoMipMapping and my crack fixing doesn''t apply an particular API. In fact, most graphics algorithms in general don''t apply to any particular API. If you can''t apply them without the help of a book to show you sample source, I suggest you start on the basics first. Buying that book won''t hurt ya, I''m just giving you my opinion.

-------------------
Realm Games Company