A couple of questions

Started by
2 comments, last by joshdw1 21 years, 1 month ago
Well I just started getting into game development and I have a couple of questions. I''m using DirectX and C++... 1) What is the best way to display windows controls? I tried going the standard windows route using CreateWindow() for the controls I wanted. However, they don''t show up. They are there, because if I hover on them they kinda flicker a little - but otherwise you can''t see them at all. Is there somthing special you have to do to make the controls work in full screen directx? They worked fine in windowed mode. Or do I have to create my own windows controls, along the lines of the tutorial: "Developing a GUI Using C++ and DirectX "? 2) What is the best way to display fonts? Neither TextOut() and DrawText() work very well. Is my best bet to read in a bmp file with all the letters, then blit them to the screen? Thanks in advance for any help
Advertisement
1) You might need to call ShowWindow() to get the window to show up at first. About the controls, I have no idea, sorry.

2) The GDI is a good for debug information and simple stuff but eventually you will want to make a font engine like you said with bmps. There are a few good tutorials on the subject and its not too difficult.

[edited by - punx on March 6, 2003 11:37:42 PM]
~punx
I know when I tried it in DirectDraw I had to set up a clipper on my primary surface and I couldn''t flip the surfaces, I had to blit the backbuffer onto the frontbuffer to get it to work. Check out the full screen dialog sample that comes with the DirectX 8.x SDK. That should give you an idea if your using DirectDraw, not sure about D3D, haven''t gone there yet
Evillive2
Thanks for the advice

I still havn''t figured out my windows problem unfortunatly

On the upside though, i did manage to write a simple little class that reads a bmp and blits out the individual letters.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement