• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

CGameProgrammer

City-Rendering 3D Engine

This topic is 5607 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

This post has a demo, screenshots, and information on the engine, so just go there. Please I'd appreciate feedback, either there or here, doesn't matter. [EDIT: Added thumbnails here.] BTW if you really want a direct download link then edit. I mean, EDIT: Nevermind, direct link removed, because I don't have tons of extra bandwidth for this file so I've limited it to 50 downloads a day, and rather than having the slots filled by anonymous GameDev viewers, I'd prefer it if people would just go to the webpost above and download from there. ~CGameProgrammer( ); DevImg.net - Post screenshots, comment on others. [edited by - CGameProgrammer on March 11, 2003 5:43:36 AM]

Advertisement
AFile is not a town compiled world or something along those lines, and then just shows the skybox, can''t move (or doesn''t appear to be moving anyway)

Did you run CreateFileTypes first? It should make City.tcw look like a page with a picture of the Earth on it. Then double-click City and that should work. If it doesn't, run this:

Town.exe -load City.tcw

What's your OS / system specs?
EDIT: Oh, and the 'AFile' thing was a bug, it should have said the filename... Fixed now.

~CGameProgrammer( );
DevImg.net - Post screenshots, comment on others.

[edited by - CGameProgrammer on March 7, 2003 9:00:45 AM]

[edited by - CGameProgrammer on March 7, 2003 9:01:19 AM]

yes i did create file types, i'm trying the patched versino now

windows xp
geforce 4 ti4200
512 of ram

edit: i get the same error, now it just says City\City.tcw is not a valid compiled city or something like that.

[edited by - billybob on March 7, 2003 9:53:16 PM]

works great, i get over 50fps when flying around and down in the city, it goes down a lot about 20 when i use ctrl to do go to warp(lol)

specs:
winxp
amd athlon xp 1.7ghz
512 ddr
gefroce4 ti4200

,Matt

-= kill one your a murderer, kill thousands your a conquerer =-

On my computer it doesnt even start without
"Town.exe -load City.tcw", though i run the CreateFileTypes thing. And then it shows for a second this image and then green and pink horizontal lines moving. wooo, makes me dizzy...

Windows XP
AMD Athlon XP 2200+
1,8 Ghz
512 Ram
Geforce4 Ti 4400

[edited by - Christian Schlager on March 8, 2003 10:07:16 AM]

billybob : It is apparently finding the file correctly, but the data must be corrupted if it thinks it's not valid. The first three bytes in the file should be "TCW". Can you open it up in a hex-editor (or whatever) and tell me what the first three bytes actually are? Actually, you don't need to -- just tell me the filesize. It should be about 44.6 MB.

Christian : The initial image should be a blurry black-and-white picture of a city (it's a manipulated screenshot). Is it, or is it noise? Also, can you tell me your display settings and DirectX version? Since the program initially boots up in windowed mode, yout Windows display settings do affect it.

Ibuku: Although I fully plan on using it for a game eventually, I don't know when and I have no idea what type of game. I'm just working on it as an engine right now.

~CGameProgrammer( );
Town 3D Engine - A city-rendering 3D engine. Download the demo.

[edited by - CGameProgrammer on March 8, 2003 9:19:24 PM]

That's exactly what it should be. It must be a file-reading problem. Well I changed file input slightly, but more important it now displays what bytes are read so you can tell me what it says and I'll hopefully know exactly what the problem is.

You can just copy/paste the contents of Compile.log onto here.

The new version has been uploaded. City3DDemo.zip

~CGameProgrammer( );
Town 3D Engine - A city-rendering 3D engine. Download the demo.

[edited by - CGameProgrammer on March 9, 2003 4:18:03 PM]

[edited by - CGameProgrammer on March 9, 2003 4:23:12 PM]

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!