Why you don't want to make a MMOG

Started by
11 comments, last by Impossible 20 years, 12 months ago
To me, it appears the land of game development is closely bordering, and probably overlapping, the land of all talk and no action. It seems that people believe that making a video game is like playing a video game (in ease).

I know from personal experience. I started a nice club here at my university dedicated to game programming and art. Instantly I had about 15-20 people interested within a few days. I was excited to see how many people shared my interest in game programming. It seems that's all they shared. Only half showed up for the first two or three meetings, and after that, membership cut in half every week. They found out game programming requires work.

I see the exact same attitude when I hear people want to make an online RPG. For this reason I applaud Mr. Walton. He is by no means trying to discourage programmers from having high hopes, and obviously not trying to brainwash potential competition. He is merely saying that games are hard to make. Big online games are probably the hardest of games to make.

I would agree. Reach for the stars, but keep your eyes on the stairs.

--Vic--

[edited by - Roof Top Pew Wee on March 14, 2003 12:25:08 PM]
Advertisement
What would be so costly for an MMORPG? (Sorry for asking the obvious )
Staff.
Hosting.
Bandwidth.
Database.
Content.
Support.

[ MSVC Fixes | STL Docs | SDL | Game AI | Sockets | C++ Faq Lite | Boost
Asking Questions | Organising code files | My stuff | Tiny XML | STLPort]

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement