The SkyBox and the Mysterious Cave

Started by
5 comments, last by SoaringTortoise 21 years, 1 month ago
OK, I''m using a sky-box but now I''ve got a problem. I have a big, deep cave on my map. As you trundle merrily along, the sky looks great, the birds are chirping and the crickets are doing their best to make more crickets. Suddenly, out of nowhere, there appears a rock arch... no, hang on, as I move closer it appears to be a rock tunnel... no, I lie, as I move closer still it apears to be a great big hole with sky at the end... actually, now it all makes sense, it is a cave but where did the sky go?! I suppose I could make my tunnel take a short and swift kink early on to stop the view-distance culling poking the sky through but then ALL my caves would have to have a kink, and that starts to get a little ''samey'' after a while. How else can I prevent the skybox from poking through on the depth-cull? It even happens in highly mountainous areas, where you see sky, but as you get closer there''s a bloomin great big mountain in the way. Learning to fly is easy, but as a tortoise, the landings are really rough.
Always prey on the weak, the timid and the stupid. Otherwise you'll just get your butt kicked
For a tortoise, this is extremely hard to do, but when you get it right... the expression on their faces ...
Advertisement
you should draw the skybox with Z write disabled
That''s what I am doing.

_____________ SkyBox

_________Draw depth cull
())))))) cave entrance

Learning to fly is easy, but as a tortoise, the landings are really rough.
Always prey on the weak, the timid and the stupid. Otherwise you'll just get your butt kicked
For a tortoise, this is extremely hard to do, but when you get it right... the expression on their faces ...
Make your sky box bigger
TechleadEnilno, the Ultima 2 projectwww.dr-code.org/enilno
There no easy fix on this one, you''ll have either like you said have the cave turn or increase the distance at which you cull/clip.

Chapel
How about adding a black polygon inside the cave that is always drawn when the cave mouth is drawn, but not when the cave is at a certain level of detail. This should obscure the sky.
I thought about doing it that way, but it''s a little hard to make it a generic feature of the engine. Any ideas on that?

Learning to fly is easy, but as a tortoise, the landings are really rough.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement